Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 17 inch
Microsoft Windows 11

I upgraded to Win 11 and my HP Envy 17 inch with I7 processer does not have the ability to turn off the mouse pad now called "click pad" . 

My palm hits the mouse pad and the curser moves to some other area preventing me from filling or writing text in a field or dialog box. Does anyone know how to turn the mouse pad off in Win 11?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@narrowminded2

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I have gone through your Post and would like to help.

The quickest way to disable your laptop’s touchpad is to use Settings app. 

1. Open the Start menu and select Settings.

2. Select Devices

3. Select Touchpad or Mouse & touchpad on the sidebar.

4. Turn off the switch under Touchpad to deactivate the touchpad.

Alternatively, uncheck the box next to Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected option. That should prompt Windows 10 to disable the touchpad automatically whenever you connect a mouse via USB.

If the options to disable the touchpad in the Windows Settings app appear missing or fail to work, use the touchpad configuration options on the Mouse Properties applet instead.

1. Open the Start menu and go to Settings Devices

2. Select Touchpad or Mouse & touchpad on the sidebar. 

3. Select Additional Settings.

4. Switch to the Device Settings tab. On some laptops, the tab may be labeled after the device model (for example, ThinkPad).

5. Select your touchpad under the Devices section and select Disable

You can also check the box next to Disable internal pointing devices when external USB pointing device is attached to configure the touchpad to deactivate automatically whenever you connect a mouse via USB or Bluetooth.

You can also try these steps to Disable Touchpad via Device Manager

1. Press Windows and select Device Manager.

2. Expand Mice and other pointing devices.

3. Right-click your touchpad driver and select Disable device

If you see multiple instances of the generic HID-compliant mouse driver, you might want to disable them one by one until you come across the entry that corresponds with your touchpad.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.