Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I've got the exact same problem on an Envy x360 that I bought 366 days ago (HP Support would not open a trouble ticket on it because it was one day out of warranty, even though I've been working through the forum pages for a week). I'm looking for that same mystical "special firmware package" as well. Here is my post:

=============================================================================

HP Envy x360 (15t-w100) Will not Auto-rotate 

Product Name: HP Envy x360
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Auto-rotate on my one-year old (exactly) HP Envy X360 is not working. I noticed that the "HID Sensor Collection V2" device has an error saying that "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling that device driver (and rebooting). I've checked the setting in Services for Sensors and they match that of my HP Spectre x360 that works just fine. I've checked the registry settings under \HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation and set both SensorPresent and Enable to "1". Still does not work. Under Settings/Display, "Lock rotation of this display" is set to "On" and is grayed out so I cannot change it. I've tried putting it into tent mode, setting it as a Tablet, then putting the screen into Portrait Mode manually, and then restarting the machine from scratch. After restarting, it simply comes back up in the mode I left it in, but does not activate the Auto-Rotation mode on cause the grayed out option to activate.

It seems like the Sensors are just not visible to the Windows drivers. I've upgraded the bios to the latest from the HP site and checked for any other available software/firmware that might affect this problem. I did read somewhere that there might be some special firmware package that is only available from HP Support if requested.

Help please.

HP Recommended
I solved the problem at last - by switching to Acer. Good luck!
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my envy x360 15z, and got solved by reinstalling bios.

HP Recommended

I finally solved the problem but it was not reloading the BIOS. Updating the BIOS was one of the first things I tried. Most of the driver updates for the Envy 15t-w100 are from 2015. I posted the solution that worked on another Forum thread along with comparisons to a Spectre x360 that I have and is working perfectly. Here is the other post:

=======================================================================================

Problem Solved:

I was able to find that service pack on my own. I installed it and no change in system behavior. I've been comparing the Device Manager settings for "Sensors" to the 10 HP Spectre x360's that I bought for my company and it seems that this is where the problem lies. I deleted the device listed under sensors and restarted the system. There was no change even after I forced a "scan for hardware changes". I manually added, via "Add legacy hardware", several different sensor choices (one at a time) and rebooted each time. No change in behaviour. I did read somewhere that the sensor activation might be related to Location Services, which I do remember not enabling when I last set up Windows 10 on this machine. I did turn on location services before taking the final step below (turning it on did not cause auto rotation to start working...yet).

My final solution was to force the install of Windows 10 Creators Update (which had not yet been installed), knowing that these major updates (like Anniversary Edition) will reset all hardware devices and install all current drivers after scanning for installed hardware devices. System rebooting and voila!! Auto-rotation now works. Just as important, the keyboard and touchpad deactivate in tablet and tent mode, as you would want them to. Like all the other major windows updates all my apps and setting stayed in place, for the most part (Networking got set back to "Homegroups", which I always have to change back to my desired home/office network settings). The interesting thing about this issue are the "head fakes" that the Windows rotation settings give you.

When in laptop mode the "Rotation Lock" button in the Notifications area is grayed out and cannot be changed. "Rotation Lock" in the Settings/Display screen is also grayed out and set to "On". However, as soon as you move the screen to tent or tablet position, both those "Rotation Lock" items un-gray and become setable. That makes sense, since as a tablet or tent you might want to lock the screen orientation, but in laptop mode you would not want the screen flipping around unless you force it. Under "Services", the 3 sensor services (Sensor Data Service, Sensor Monitoring Service and Sensor Service) are all set to "Manual (Trigger Start)". SDS does not show as "Running", but SMS and SS are "Running". This is true whether in tent or tablet positions. Finally, under Device Manager, there are 6 copies of "HID Sensor Collection V2" under "Sensors". On my Spectre x360 I only have one copy of "HID Sensor Collection V2". The difference here is that the one copy on the Spectre shows a "Location" of "on USB Input Device" on the "General" tab of "Properties". The individual copies on the Envy x360 show different locations for each copy (specifically, "Location 2", "Location 128", "Location 1", "Location 0", "Location 130", "Location 129"). The sensors appear to be recognized as individual devices on the Envy x360 and as a single USB device on the Spectre x360. 

Anyway, no help from HP whatsoever, I solved the problem. I hope the information above may help someone. I sure wouldn't plan on any assistance from HP Support. They wouldn't extend a warranty grace period of even one day to assist me over the phone, even though it was obvious I had been struggling with this for a week. It probably is a Windows 10 issue in the end as I've read reports of this same issue on the Lenovo, Microsoft Surface, Asus, Dell and other PC manufacture forum sites. However, HP's complete lack of interest in assisting me (including no response to my initial post, whatsoever) will definitely have me looking at other manufacturers on my next PC upgrades. I've only bought 12 high-end PC's from them in the last 12 months, but what do they care.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.