Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Does anyone have any experience with adding an SSD to a p6610f?
I belive the SATA controller is SATA II 3Gbps, so I'm wondering if I should be buying a low end SATA III 6Gbps on the basis that the controller will limit it any way, or if I should spend the money on a high end SSD?

Should I install a SATA III 6Gbps card just for the SSD (I've got a video card and USB 3.0 card installed already - so only 1 slot free).

Also curious about the mPCIe (PCIe mini slot) and if it would support an mSATA SSD?
What do people use this for?

Also looking for some advice on how to do the install. I gather it's simplest to clone the old drive (but the SSD will be smaller), but that doing a re-install of Windows might result in a faster system (I presume I can use the recovery disks). Interested in other peoples experience.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The mini-pcie x1 slot is for a wireless card only. Yes, the computer uses a SATA-II interface so my best advice is not to spend the money on a Pro model SSD. You will get all the performance the computer is capable of giving by installing a consumer grade SATA-III SSD like a Samsung 840 Evo. SATA-II vs SATA-III does not limit performance in the stuff that counts; boot time and general responsiveness. It only limits peak transfer speed, which is rarely attained anyway. I usually clone my drives to an SSD but yes you will get better performance with a clean install. With a desktop you have the luxury of multiple drives so you can just add an SSD. You have several available spaces you could tuck away a 2.5 inch SSD. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The mini-pcie x1 slot is for a wireless card only. Yes, the computer uses a SATA-II interface so my best advice is not to spend the money on a Pro model SSD. You will get all the performance the computer is capable of giving by installing a consumer grade SATA-III SSD like a Samsung 840 Evo. SATA-II vs SATA-III does not limit performance in the stuff that counts; boot time and general responsiveness. It only limits peak transfer speed, which is rarely attained anyway. I usually clone my drives to an SSD but yes you will get better performance with a clean install. With a desktop you have the luxury of multiple drives so you can just add an SSD. You have several available spaces you could tuck away a 2.5 inch SSD. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

My p6610f has been working well with a 120GB SATA-III SSD as the boot drive and the original HDD as the data drive.
Unfortunately the 120GB is filling up (despite myDocuments being on the data drive).

Recently I've seen prices on PCIe SSDs drop dramatically.

Unfortunately, I don't understand all the PCIe spec stuff they quote like 3x the speed of a SATA-III.
Will I gain any benefit from one of these?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.