Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

How do I dsable the Pause function on the Shift key? I have never seen a more useless function on a major key on a keypad before (in over 30 years of PC use).

I would throw out my HP laptop if I could afford to do so. Hitting the Pause area of the formerly-Shift-key-only pad causes my cursor to jump to a previous locale of its choosing (no Fn key involved), so unless I am intently watching my keyboard, the next several characters wind up in the wrong locale. I LOSE A LOT OF TIME ON THIS ONE BRAINLESS "FEATURE."

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @disgruntled45 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

I grasp that you are having a difficulty with the pause key on the keyboard.  I am unsure why it is acting that way.

I suggest you uninstall the keyboard driver and reinstall.

Please let me know the outcome.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Did you ever get an answer? HP "support" seems useless.

HP Recommended

I don't WANT to pause. When I hit anywhere on the shift key I just want it to shift. This thing really slows up my typing and causes jumbled letter sequence. I have to type lines over and over again.

HP Recommended

Still waiting to hear if I can disable my Envy pause key. No response so far. a week after asking the question.

HP Recommended

I couldn't agree more...the pause key is very poorly placed and causes all kinds of trouble and frustration when typing.  The laptop is otherwise great - too bad the pause key is a deal breaker.  

HP Recommended

Hello everyone!

Recently I came across the same problem, when on my new laptop (15-ck004ur) I tried to use regular "Right_SHIFT+INS" for insert from clipboard.

There's a problem, since these 2 keys ([Ins, PrtScr] + [Pause,Right_Shift]) mutually exclude each other. 

Ins is working with Fn (and without Fn it's a PrtScr), while Shift is working without Fn (and  Right_Shift  with Fn is Break!).

I don't know, in what kind of fevered brain this design could arise. But it's obvious that we're unable to get an answer from HP support  (at least, in a forseeable future).

Since we're left to our own devices, we can try to find a workaround. And I found.

If you press the keys in exact sequence, you'll get it

Right_Shift+Fn+Ins

Hope this way out could be helphul for someone.

Have a nice day.

P.S. It should be mentioned, that right after my laptop had been bought, I disbled in BIOS Function Keys. So if you haven't done this, the workaround might be even more complicated )))

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.