Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp notebook 14 am081 tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i used my notebook without earthing the power adapter (house wiring has no earthing) and while using like that, i faced many issues with display, audio and performance. the condition got worse when i updated the drivers or even worse when updated the bios. when i updated the firmware of my android smartphone using this notebook, its performance also got seriously affected (its not a software problem of notebook or mobile because other handsets had no such problems with same software). i done such firmware upgrades for 2 mobiles and both got affected.

then i somehow knew that it could be due to unearthed adapter (i used my notebook mostly by connecting it to power adapter and not much on battery). then i used it by earthing. the effects were somewhat reduced but still it is imperfect. to check, i done firware update of another mobile and it had not much serious effects as previous ones, but still it is not perfect.

and somewhere i read that in notebook power adapters, the ground pin serves not only as safety while current leakings, but it is essential becuase in all the current coming from live wire, some is gone through neutral and a very little through ground pin, so not earthing it could build static charges in the adapter and notebook.

so, my question now is, what really is the problem and how can i rectify it completely? i am feared to connect any other new device to this laptop via usb becuase gadgets are getting different behaviours when connected to this notebook (like a mentally retared person :LaughingTears: . so what should i do?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

Which country are we talking about?

Is the power cord 2 pin or 3 pin?

HP Recommended

I am from India, and it is 3 pin power cord

HP Recommended

Hi

So the adapter has electrical isolation.  The mains electricy does not effectively flow to or through the adapter, there is electronic circuitry to "transform"/"rectify" the supply.  The laptop energy cannot pass back into the adapter and thru to the mains wiring.

This step down gives isolation, so there is no reason for any interference.  However static charges can build up on a person or object, and earthing can be a solution.

Also spikes in the mains supply can damage equipment and suppressors are available for that.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/cable-reels-ext-leads/cat830082

You could drive an earth spike into the ground/earth at your property and try that.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/earthing/cat830482?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-electrical...

BUT TAMPERING WITH ELECTRICITY AT MAINS VOLTAGES CAN BE FATAL OR WORSE, YOU DON'T DIE BUT GET SUED FOR COMPENSATION BY THOSE WHO GET INJURED.

So try a suppressed ext. cable.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response 🙂 .

Now it is properly grounded/earthed and all measures were taken. But still it is not working efficiently (ofcourse better than earlier). Does that mean it has suffered a permanent damage?

and i am getting a doubt that could the static charges built up are still present in the circuits like unequal charges on capasitors which could affect the performance? (i am not an electrical engg student, but still remember some high school physics, that's why asking)? If yes, how to solve it?  I know a technique to remove the battery and press the power button for around 30 sec. but will that drain all the capasitors on motherboard?

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi

I think you are referring to the 'hard reset'

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768/
This works for most HP Laptops (and some Desktops)...
To perform a power reset on a laptop with a sealed or non-removable battery:
To perform a power reset on a laptop with a sealed or non-removable battery:
Turn off the computer.
Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station.
Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.
For most laptops, press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds to reset.

AND discharging the capacitors on the Main Board is really the intent.

So suppresors are small capacitors across the L - N,  N - E and E - L and can upset an RCD if/when the L - E leaks too much.

An earth is derived from the centre tapping point of a STAR arrangement on a step down transformer, AS is the Neutral.

So earth and neutral are almost the same, and on some systems, historically, the Neutral was bridged across to provide an earth point. So you can create a FAUX earth locally.

However spikes in the mains can damage equipment, the most likely cause is an inductive load being switched, Lift motors in high rise buildings, (Elevators and Apartment Block), transformers for 'Neon' lighting etc etc.

As to your situation and circumstances I dare not speculate further.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.