Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-bs0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been having major problems with my laptop over the past few days. a few days ago the screen turned off for a few seconds then turned back on. The next day, I tried botting up the computer and the screen wouldnt turn on, but the lights for my mouse and external fan turned on. the screen wouldn't activate from normal button presses of any kind, and I had to use the power button to shutdown entirely. The third day I was playing a game and the system crashed after plugging something into the usb port. the screen froze entirely for about a minute, the game crashed, and was followed by long droning sounds. the first sound was maybe 10 seconds or so long, the second one was about a minute long. after this crash I am no longer able to use google chrome without the screen flicking on and off for several seconds at a time, and random sections of the screen that are displaying google chrome flicking on and off in random orders. if left open the screen will quickly show an unusual picture or texture then revert to black. if I close the google chrome the computer works as normal. I have to use Microsoft edge as a replacement. from what I have read online I need to replace the motherboard, but no sites show up that sell an 832A motherboard. is the motherboard the problem or is it something else? if it is the motherboard then where can I find a replacement?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Personally, I would try performing a clean install of the latest version of Windows 10 on the PC and see if the problem persists.

Here is a small guide:

Download media creation tool from Microsoft on PC (or on different PC), run and create a bootable pendrive with the OS on it. (there is an explanation on the Microsoft web page on how to create the pendrive). Create the drive with Windows 10 Home 64-bit edition. Windows will automatically activate once installed and connected to the Internet.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you choose this option you will need to use the pendrive to perform a clean install of Windows 10. You might need to disable fastboot and secure boot in BIOS (probably not). So, insert the pendrive in the PC and it should boot directly from the drive. If not, turn off the PC by holding the power button. Press the power button and immediately keep pressing ESC until the startup menu appears and then press F9 and choose the pendrive in the boot menu. Once it boots from pendrive follow the procedure to install Windows. Choose custom install and delete all partitions and install in unallocated space.

When finished installing allow Windows to completely update and find all or most drivers. You can follow this process by going into settings > Security and update > click on Verify for updates. You might need to reboot a couple of times.

I recommend installing HP support assistant which will help keep your drivers up to date and much more. You can download the latest version from here.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

Once completely updated you can go into device manager and see if there are any missing drivers (there will be yellow exclamation mark next to the device). You can find these drivers and software on HP support page for your product.

Hope it helps,

David

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, try running some diagnostics on the system at boot. So, turn off the PC by holding the power button. Turn on the PC and continuously keep pressing ESC until the startup menu appears. Next, press F2 to enter diagnostics and perform the system test/tests. Let me know the results.

Can you provide the exact model or product number (not serial) so I can take a look at the specs of the machine. is the whole series which has many models with different configurations. Here is how to find it:

Model number

Let me know what version of Windows you have installed. Press WinKey+R and type winver

If you attach the PC to an external monitor/TV does the same image problem happen?

When you open Chrome in Task manager do you see a large amount of CPU use, what are the temps like?

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

All of the diagnostics passed, and the problem continues if I connect to another screen. The product number is 1TJ82UA#ABA. The OS version is 1803 Build 17134.829

HP Recommended

also, when using google chrome, the usage peaks at 100% at 3.08 GHZ and CPU temperatures are at 60 Celsius, this is with an Opolar LC05 external fan running at maximum power.

without chrome, CPU usage stays around 1-8% at 2.6 GHZ and CPU temperatures are at 32 Celsius with the same fan settings.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Personally, I would try performing a clean install of the latest version of Windows 10 on the PC and see if the problem persists.

Here is a small guide:

Download media creation tool from Microsoft on PC (or on different PC), run and create a bootable pendrive with the OS on it. (there is an explanation on the Microsoft web page on how to create the pendrive). Create the drive with Windows 10 Home 64-bit edition. Windows will automatically activate once installed and connected to the Internet.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you choose this option you will need to use the pendrive to perform a clean install of Windows 10. You might need to disable fastboot and secure boot in BIOS (probably not). So, insert the pendrive in the PC and it should boot directly from the drive. If not, turn off the PC by holding the power button. Press the power button and immediately keep pressing ESC until the startup menu appears and then press F9 and choose the pendrive in the boot menu. Once it boots from pendrive follow the procedure to install Windows. Choose custom install and delete all partitions and install in unallocated space.

When finished installing allow Windows to completely update and find all or most drivers. You can follow this process by going into settings > Security and update > click on Verify for updates. You might need to reboot a couple of times.

I recommend installing HP support assistant which will help keep your drivers up to date and much more. You can download the latest version from here.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

Once completely updated you can go into device manager and see if there are any missing drivers (there will be yellow exclamation mark next to the device). You can find these drivers and software on HP support page for your product.

Hope it helps,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.