Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-ce0063tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, I just bought a used video game capture device (Elgato HD60 S) and am trying to set it up. The device requires USB 3 ports on my laptop, which according to the specs on the HP website, my Pavilion 14-ce0063tx has: "2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only)" (link to specs: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06062646).

However. after connecting the device I get an error message from the game capture software that "the device "needs to be connected to a USB 3.0 port to function properly".

I'm a computing novice but I thought my laptop meets the above requirement. My question is does the "data transfer only" specs of my laptop's USB ports reflect some limitation that means my laptop isn't good enough? I'm just trying to work out if it's that, or alternatively if the game capture device itself is faulty. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Chupatty 

I requires USB 3.0 port it should work on USB 3.1 type A ports.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you Banhien for the quick reply. I understand that the device should work on USB 3.1 as it only requires USB 3.0.

However, my laptop specs says that the USB ports are "data transfer only"; I don't understand what this means, so am trying to check if this is causing the problem.

HP Recommended

Data transfer only means that the port does not support charging through that port or video output to drive external monitors. Keep in mind that some cases there will be both USB 2 and 3 ports. Typically USB will be blue. Does device manager show that all proper drivers are installed.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you, do you mean you would expect the capture card to work with my laptop specs? 

I think the answer to your question is yes. In Device Manager, after plugging in the Elgato I can see the "Game Capture HD60 S" appearing in the "sound, video and game controllers" section. 

HP Recommended

@Chupatty wrote:

Thank you, do you mean you would expect the capture card to work with my laptop specs? 

I think the answer to your question is yes. In Device Manager, after plugging in the Elgato I can see the "Game Capture HD60 S" appearing in the "sound, video and game controllers" section. 

@Chupatty wrote:

For anyone else with this issue all you need is a 3.0 USB Hub with its own power source. Plug the capture device into the hub and the hub into the 3.1 Data Only port. Also ensure you have USB 3.0 capable cables.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.