cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

shutting off randomly and suddenly without warning

HP Recommended
Pavilion X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I spilled a half cup of hot tea on my pavilion x360 and after I tried to dry and clean it, it was opened. But while I was working on it, it started to shut down suddenly and randomly without giving any error or message. I run the diagnostic tests and it passed them all but still continues to shut down suddenly and do not restart. Could you please provide me any guidance on how to proceed? 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
26,023 25,955 2,381 5,650
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@nyildiz 

You probably shorted out the system board.

Turn the laptop OFF -- and do NOT turn it back ON!!

Here are some tips on dealing with liquid damage: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/you-just-spilled-water-or-coffee-on-your-laptop-heres-what-you-should-d...

However ... it's most likely that SOME damage was done, regardless of how quickly you turned off the laptop and what you did afterward. The key problems are only the surface and almost certainly, more damage was done than that.

The ONLY way to know for sure is to take or send it to an HP Service Center and pay a LOT of money for them to run full diagnostics on it, and after that, to disassemble it to repair or replace any damaged components.

And, if the motherboard is damaged, the cost of repair can easily exceed the cost of replacing the laptop -- because (as far as I know) liquid spill damage is NOT covered under the warranty.

Since you live in the U.S., here is a link to the HP Service Repair Centers:
https://www.service-center-locator.com/hp-hewlett-packard/hp-hewlett-packard-service-center.htm

If that link does not give you the information you need, here is the general support link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation