Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
pavilion g6 2255ev
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello, 
i would like to know what kind of ssd, fits to my laptop.
i want to upgrate my laptop and put an ssd to my dvd place.
so what exactly should i look for?
also, is it better to put an ssd, or change my cpu?
i have the amd a6-4400m with 8 gb ram.
is it better to put the amd a10-4600m, (i see that it is the best  compatible  processor).
thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

How to upgrade and what to upgrade depends on what you want to do with your computer. As stated above by @Blitzgaming, the SSD is going to provide the best possible improvement to the overall computing experience. It will boot faster and programs open quicker; nothing better than an SSD. Don't overthink the SSD. You need a 2.5 inch wide SATA SSD. SATA 2 or 3 makes no difference. You would have a hard time finding a SATA 2 in the market now so just buy something current and look for a good sale. The SSD will run at the best speed the motherboard can allow (I am pretty sure yours is SATA 3 by the way) and even on a SATA 2 system a SATA 3 SSD will run super fast. 

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-2-5-Inch-Height-SDSSDHII-240G-G25/dp/B00M8ABEIM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=U...

If you can afford it get at least a 480 gig or 500 gig SSD, but you can get by with a 240 gig. The above Sandisk is a good one but again, if you can afford it, get a Samsung 850 Evo. 

As good as an SSD is, it will do nothing really for gaming. Your laptop can be upgraded to the A10-4600M processor which in this case is called an APU. The processor chip also doubles as the video card and an upgrade from your A6 to an A10 would also mean an improvement in video performance, from HD 7520G to 7660G. And the AMD processors unlike Intels are not terrible expensive. 

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-A10-4600M-Quad-Core-2-3GHz-AM4600DEC44HJ/dp/B00D6MZ5P4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8...

You will still not have a "gamer" but you will experience somewhat smoother game play and better frame rates. I don't recommend processor upgrades in general except on the AMD A-series models since you also upgrade the video at the same time. 

Still, you have to kind of stop and think about 100 bucks or 150 bucks for an SSD and $65 for a processor and wonder whether that money is better applied to a new laptop? Your call. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @xarris,

Welcome back to the HP Forums! I read your post on the HP Support Forums about wanting to upgrade some hardware components on your Pavilion g6-2255ev Notebook and wanted to reach out to you.

With the information I have found, if you are to install an SSD into that system, it would need to be as a replacement for the original SATA drive otherwise you will not be able to get the BIOS to boot from that drive.

From the information I am able to locate, you will likely see a bigger difference in performance by installing the SSD drive compared to upgrading the processor.

You will want to review the service manual before performing the upgrades to ensure you follow the correct process, eliminating the possibility of other components being damaged in the process.

Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as Accept as Solution to help other community members! To show appreciation for my efforts kindly click the Thumbs Up below.

Thanks!

Please click the Thumbsup.JPG below to show you like/appreciate my post or to simply say thanks!

Please share what worked for you with others by marking the post as solved by clicking the Accept as Solution button.

Thanks - I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer, 
So, i if i want to upgrade, i will change my original drive, and put an ssd in his place...
And what exactly should i looking for?
i mean, i should buy an 2,5 ' drive, sata 3? or sata 2 ?
does my  laptop can "work" with sata 3 speeds, or sata 2 is the maximum?
i read this on the internet, about the difference of them...
so what should i do?

HP Recommended

How to upgrade and what to upgrade depends on what you want to do with your computer. As stated above by @Blitzgaming, the SSD is going to provide the best possible improvement to the overall computing experience. It will boot faster and programs open quicker; nothing better than an SSD. Don't overthink the SSD. You need a 2.5 inch wide SATA SSD. SATA 2 or 3 makes no difference. You would have a hard time finding a SATA 2 in the market now so just buy something current and look for a good sale. The SSD will run at the best speed the motherboard can allow (I am pretty sure yours is SATA 3 by the way) and even on a SATA 2 system a SATA 3 SSD will run super fast. 

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-2-5-Inch-Height-SDSSDHII-240G-G25/dp/B00M8ABEIM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=U...

If you can afford it get at least a 480 gig or 500 gig SSD, but you can get by with a 240 gig. The above Sandisk is a good one but again, if you can afford it, get a Samsung 850 Evo. 

As good as an SSD is, it will do nothing really for gaming. Your laptop can be upgraded to the A10-4600M processor which in this case is called an APU. The processor chip also doubles as the video card and an upgrade from your A6 to an A10 would also mean an improvement in video performance, from HD 7520G to 7660G. And the AMD processors unlike Intels are not terrible expensive. 

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-A10-4600M-Quad-Core-2-3GHz-AM4600DEC44HJ/dp/B00D6MZ5P4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8...

You will still not have a "gamer" but you will experience somewhat smoother game play and better frame rates. I don't recommend processor upgrades in general except on the AMD A-series models since you also upgrade the video at the same time. 

Still, you have to kind of stop and think about 100 bucks or 150 bucks for an SSD and $65 for a processor and wonder whether that money is better applied to a new laptop? Your call. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

hello againa,
sorry if i should not continue and answer again here. If so, please tell me, to start a new thead.
So, i bought an ssd and i am going to install it, but also i want to put my old hdd also in my laptop as a second drive, with a case in the place of dvd rom.
But i don't know what dimensions does my dvd has.
It is a 9.5mm or a 12.7mm?
thanks again!
your help about my problem was very helpfull! 

HP Recommended

Manual:

link to Service Manual

It's a 12.7 mm drive. 

See p. 42 for how-to. 

https://www.jacobsparts.com/items/HDDBAY-01/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.