Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17-W100NV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does this hp omen have the thunderbolt 3 port? If not can it be upgraded to TB3?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@marousi, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I'm not sure if HP will release any products with a thunderbolt port.

You might have to wait and see.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hey there! @marousi, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I understand you would like to know if there is Thunderbolt 3 port on your OMEN HP Laptop.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Thunderbolt and USB C are two different technologies from 2 different companies.

Thunderbolt is patented by Apple and USB C is patented by Intel.

The only difference would only be the speed in the data transmission but both the ports should work in the same way.

As per the specifications of the laptop, the laptop is shipped with 1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ port.

Since you are using a laptop you cannot upgrade the ports on your PC as the ports on your PC are integrated into the system board.

Refer this article to know the difference between USB-C and Thunderbolt technology from thunderbolttechnology.net.

Also, refer the product specifications page the laptop for more information.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, but does hp or will hp provide a tb3 card for the hp omen's that did not have a tb3 factory installed?

HP Recommended

HP will not ship any laptop with Thunderbolt port as the port is patented by Apple and cannot be used by any other company. HP will ship the laptops with USB 3.1 or USC ports.

USB 3.1 port is equivalent to thunderbolt port.

The default protocol for the new USB-C connector is USB 3.1, which, at 10Gbps, is the same speed as Thunderbolt 1. USB Type-C ports can support a variety of different protocols allowing you to have adapters that can output HDMI, VGA, DisplayPort, or other types of connections streamlined into a single type of port.

USB Type-C isn’t always synonymous with USB 3.1 since USB Type-C is just a connector shape, and the underlying technology could just be the closely related. USB 2 or USB 3.0.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Wait, this is not correct. The 

HP OMEN 17-AN007NV

ships with a thunderbolt 3 port.

HP Recommended

@marousi, Thanks for your quick response.

I had shared the product specifications of your laptop in my previous thread. 

Did you check the specifications page? 

Your laptop was shipped with a USB 3.1 port, not a thunderbolt port.

May you are confused as you might see a thunderbolt icon next to the port. 

The thunderbolt icon next to the port indicates it supports the quick charge and quick data transfer.

Hope this clarifies your doubt!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

ok, it did not ship with a tb3 port, but in the future will hp provide and upgrade for tb3? A card?

HP Recommended

I'm not sure if HP will release any products with a thunderbolt port.

You might have to wait and see.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

But the feature page did mentioned that this "An optional Thunderbolt 3-certified USB-C™ port[4], 3 USB Type A ports, and a HDMI port lets you easily adapt to all the action."

Link: http://h20386.www2.hp.com/MalaysiaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=ECC_BUNDLE_6793485&opt=&sel=NTB&p=c-om...

BTW, I am from Malaysia and am interest in this model and particulary excited that it can be upgraded.

However, I can't find this as a accessory or part on HP website both in US and also in Malaysia.

Kindly help and direct me where to purchase or order this item.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I just wanted to chime in and help with some information:

Apple does not have a patent on the Thunderbolt 3 interface.

Apple co-developed the original Thunderbolt interface with Intel and did at one point early on register the trademark.  Though, Apple gave over the trademark to Intel because Intel had majority Intellectual Property rights over it.  

As it is now, Intel is the one pushing forward with updated revisions.   And it appears that there is a good chance of increased adoption by manufacturers with the Thunderbolt 3 interface.

And yes, HP does provide Thunderbolt 3 on some laptops, as I have an Omen 17t and it included it on the device.

I hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.