Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

when I connect my wireless mouse I can't turn off the touch pad, is this possible and if so how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CarlPet

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums, 

It'll be an honor to guide you through the steps needed to identify your concern and/or address your query.

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: Click here for steps on finding the information we need & Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

That out of the way, follow these steps to disable the Touchpad when an external USB mouse is attached. You can also determine if the taskbar has a Touchpad icon and how it appears.

1. In the Windows search box, type TouchPad.

From the results list click TouchPad settings.

2. Click Additional settings.

Figure : Clicking Additional settings

Clicking Additional settings on the Touchpad window
  3. To disable the Touchpad when using a USB mouse, check Disable external pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached.

Figure : Disabling the Touchpad

Disabling the Touchpad when a USB mouse is in use
  4. To determine if the icon for the Touchpad is displayed in the taskbar, and if it is, how it appears, make the appropriate selection under Tray Icon.

Figure : Tray Icon settings

Tray Icon settings

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE FOR FAQs

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, and your device is up and running again, if you don't get back to us 😉 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@CarlPet

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums, 

It'll be an honor to guide you through the steps needed to identify your concern and/or address your query.

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: Click here for steps on finding the information we need & Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

That out of the way, follow these steps to disable the Touchpad when an external USB mouse is attached. You can also determine if the taskbar has a Touchpad icon and how it appears.

1. In the Windows search box, type TouchPad.

From the results list click TouchPad settings.

2. Click Additional settings.

Figure : Clicking Additional settings

Clicking Additional settings on the Touchpad window
  3. To disable the Touchpad when using a USB mouse, check Disable external pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached.

Figure : Disabling the Touchpad

Disabling the Touchpad when a USB mouse is in use
  4. To determine if the icon for the Touchpad is displayed in the taskbar, and if it is, how it appears, make the appropriate selection under Tray Icon.

Figure : Tray Icon settings

Tray Icon settings

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE FOR FAQs

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, and your device is up and running again, if you don't get back to us 😉 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.