Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-bs1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

Hi,

Let me preface this by saying I don't have a clue about computers and I have no idea what I'm doing. Here it goes:

I started having problems with my touchpad a few months ago. It would work for a time after a re-start but would then quit and require another restart. After a few times doing this, it stopped working altogether. I've been using a wireless mouse since, but I would really like my touchpad to work. 

I looked up support and checked the system information>components>problem devices and it came up: Synaptics SMBus TouchPad ACPI\SYN3251\4&1EB45B8B&0 This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.

So I went into device management to update the drivers for the touchpad, and there's nothing to select for 'mouse', it's like the device doesn't exist. I installed drivers anyway, the touchpad still didn't show up in device management and the system information error continued. 

I ran through the virtual agent gauntlet of tests (windows updates, hard restarts), still nothing worked and the touchpad driver error continued and no touchpad component listed in device management. It brought me to the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics test which again failed and produced failure ID codes. I was then directed to repair the hardware. 

My questions is this: have I tried all I can to fix the problem before I submit myself to physical repair. Wouldn't the absence of a driver and the component not being found indicate another option? 

Thank you for your help!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@bubbabooharris Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that touchpad has stopped working on your PC.

As you mentioned that touchpad is not getting listed in the device manager.

Have you tried checking with an external mouse? Does the external mouse work?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Click the Device Settings or the ClickPad Settings tab of Mouse Properties. If you have a Synaptics device, the tab includes the Synaptics icon. 
Select the desired touchpad under the Devices list, and then click either Enable to turn on the device.

On some touchpads, you can turn the TouchPad on or off by double tapping in the upper-left corner of the TouchPad. Double-tap to turn the TouchPad on, repeat to turn the TouchPad off.

Refer to this article to further troubleshoot touchpad issues.

Please update the Synaptics drivers and update the BIOS. Please click the following link to download the drivers.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.