Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq 6720s
Microsoft Windows Vista

Goodmorning

I have an old HP Compaq 6720s with Celeron 2Gh.

I'd like to upgrade it and change O.S.

Now  it is installed a Vista 32 bit

I want to put into a windows 10

Is it possible?

If yes 32 or 64 bit?

Thanks for your attention

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What I am saying is if you could have either an SSD OR 4 gigs of RAM but not both I would take the SSD. More performance improvement. 60 gigs is awfully small for even Ubuntu so I would suggest 120 gigs is as small as you should go and those in USA cost about $50

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Here is the Service manual:

Manual

You have the Celeron 550 processor and models with the Celeron processor have a motherboard that is different than models with higher level processors so you are stuck with that processor. It is a 64 bit processor so could run 64 bit Windows. It will accept up to 4 gigs of DDR2 memory so if you have less, it is absolutely essential that you upgrade to 4 gigs. Only way it has a chance to be a useful computer. 

You have an early version of Intel HD (UMA) graphics and tecnically Windows 10 has no compatible driver for it, but there are workarounds. Still, on that machine, Windows 7 is your best bet. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended
At this moment I have 2 gigs Ram
Well I'll improve them and pass to win7
Now OS is Ubuntu but I switch the the laptop to my sister. This is the reason to change OS.
Do I need to buy a windows key or may I obtain 7 in other way?
Is an SSD 60/120G sata a good idea to develope the home use?
HP Recommended

You would have to buy Windows 7 to use it. The laptop will support a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. That plus 4 gigs of RAM would be the best upgrades you can do. You can get Windows 7 HP 64 bit for maybe $40 as an online download,  4 gigs of DDR2 is going to cost about the same and a small SSD about the same so $120 invested in it to me does not make a lot of sense. With 2 gigs it likely handles Ubuntu pretty well. I might see if my sister could just learn Linux. 

HP Recommended

ahahahahah :OpenSmile:

... about my sister ...is good hint 🙂

I have found on line win7 less then 30$ maybe I could add only 2gigs Ram (2 are installed by me last year)

Since 50/60$ of all, maybe is a good deal, don't you?

Thank for you answer....

HP Recommended

I forgot... I confirm 2 gigs +Ubuntu and it works really good

HP Recommended

$50/60 sounds a lot better than $120, but if I could only do memory OR SSD I might do the SSD instead. 

HP Recommended

so you advice me to buy an SSD...
60 or 120G?

Consider that it will be used only to surf on web, mailing, some video and simple documents

HP Recommended

What I am saying is if you could have either an SSD OR 4 gigs of RAM but not both I would take the SSD. More performance improvement. 60 gigs is awfully small for even Ubuntu so I would suggest 120 gigs is as small as you should go and those in USA cost about $50

HP Recommended

Because of my english you could have understand I am not american 🙂

I live in Italy but the price are similar (little more)

Your hints are very precious and appreciated

Thanks a lot

Bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.