Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook HDX9490EL ...N. SERIE CNU8292HYL
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have a non-recent HP Pavilion Notebook HDX9490EL notebook with an NVIDIA GeFORCE 8800M GTS graphics card can I replace it with a recent one? if so ... Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No sir, there are very few laptops that can. I should think the newer £3000+ 1080 Titan, 2070, 2080, 2080 Ti possibly can, as they are smaller form factor GPUs. Especially the SLI versions. But your average run of the mill laptop has a GPU soldered to the motherboard or is a CPU/GPU SoC. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

No sir, there are very few laptops that can. I should think the newer £3000+ 1080 Titan, 2070, 2080, 2080 Ti possibly can, as they are smaller form factor GPUs. Especially the SLI versions. But your average run of the mill laptop has a GPU soldered to the motherboard or is a CPU/GPU SoC. 

HP Recommended

Here's the Service Manual:

Manual

These HDX machines are kind of a forgotten gem. I have only seen two of them in my life; only a few were ever made. They do have a removeable and replaceable MXM video card but trying to figure out what you can do to upgrade an MXM card is a trip down the rabbit hole. 

This is what you have now:

current MXM video cardcurrent MXM video card

In order to reuse the same heatsink you heed to find one with the same form factor and it has to be an nVidia card. 

And then it needs to be compatible with the BIOS of the computer which is the tough part. You almost certainly will not be able to use anything really current like a GeForce 10xx series as the form factor is different. This site says it cannot be done (any upgrade) at all:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/hp-hdx-9000-dragon-owners-lounge-part-2.515212/

I suggest you start checking into MXM video card enthusiast sites to see what success others have had with various cards. And just for reference, answering here that most laptops have the video soldered on and cannot be upgraded is true, but not helpful. If you do not understand the model laptop the OP is asking about, best to move on to another question. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

ok grazie della soluzione e dell'interessamento. corsiALI SALUTI

HP Recommended

ok grazie molte bper esservi interessati e della risposta. corduiali saluti.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.