Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP G72-227WM
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This notebook was  previously upgraded from Windows 7 to windows 10  but the owner decided to revert back to Windows 7 . Now he has a change of heart and wanted to reupgrade to windows 10.  During the re upgrade process from windows 7 to windows 10 , I got a message that the Intel Mobile Express Chipset is no longer supported and that the display will not be correct.  Options are confirm or terminate.   I terminated the process . Does this mean that on completion  of upgrade the display would not be at the highest resolution or that some display options wont be available ?  I am wondering whether I should ignore the warning and proceed because  previously it was upgraded to windows 10 when it became available . Advise ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, I would proceed with the upgrade back to W10.

If W10 doesn't install the correct graphics driver, you should be able to manually install the W7 Intel graphics driver from the PC's support page.

I have a much older HP notebook than that one (an nc6400 with the old Intel GMA950 graphics), and it runs the latest version of W10 (v1803) just fine.

HP Recommended

Are you sure the graphics driver for windows 7 work for windows 10 ?

HP Recommended

I'm pretty sure it will. 

It worked for me on my nc6400, so I don't know why it wouldn't work for you on a graphics adapter that is 2 Intel chipsets generations newer.

But you have to install the driver a certain way.

This assumes that W10 didn't install the graphics driver, and will you see a Microsoft Basic Display adapter showing up under the Display Adapters device manager category if W10 didn't. 

If you see the Intel graphics adapter listed there, then W10 installed a graphics driver, and the graphics should be working OK.

You should have 30 days to revert back to W7 from W10 if things don't work right.

Anyway, this is the method I have used a few times to get the graphics to work on W10 using older drivers.

Download and save, but do not run the W7 Intel graphics driver from your notebook's support page.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48275.exe

Then download and install this free file utility.    The 2nd link at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

https://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the Intel graphics driver file you saved.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  And let it extract the file into its folder name (sp48275).

Once that is done, go to the device manager.  Click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category.

Click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.   Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder 7-zip created.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

I will try it this week end . Will let you know it it works. Thanks 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

I might have misinterpreted the warning message from windows during installation .   After reviewing the notes I took , the actual words were  "The  Mobile Intel 4 series  Express Chipset is no longer supported  and the display will not be accurate"  I interpreted this as a display driver issue but perhaps its more like a chipset issue . Can I use the same methods as you outlined above but load the chipset driver found on the same HP support page?   

HP Recommended

I think you interpreted it right the first time...potential display issue, not a chipset driver issue.

On the old models like we have, I just install the latest W7 Intel chipset driver directly from intel and run the setup application inside the zip file.  No need to manually install it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20018/INF-Update-Utility-Primarily-for-Intel-6-5-4-3-900-S...

I have found that the W7 chipset driver actually installs a few newer drivers than what W10 installs.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link.  So basically I should run this Utility instead and not bother with manually installing the graphics driver? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Installing the Intel chipset installation utility is completely optional.

It will install some updated motherboard drivers. 

If the graphics isn't working, installing the utility will not fix it.

The only instance where you will have to manually install the W7 graphics driver will be if you see the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter showing up under the Display Adapters device manager category 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.