Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Zbook X2 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a HP Zbook X2 G4 computer.

It's supposed to have 2 thunderbolt 3 ports on it.

my version of windows is 1909

I reinstalled windows to have it fresh and installed ALL the drivers I could found (but apparently didn't find all of them)

I have no thunderbolt 3 tray icon.

And when I try to do the thunderbolt update firmware utility it tells me I have no thunderbolt controllers.

How do I get it ?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The two usb 3.1 ports right below where the power adapter plugs in are thunderbolt ports.See the user manual description of the ports on page 5 in chapter 2.

The drivers for thunderbolt 3 are availabke at the driver and software portal for your zBook. See the link below this line.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-zbook-x2-g4-detachable-workstation/13556323

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

ok thanks for replying but I could find that much.

Actually I already installed ALL the drivers and the driver page and that's because I know where those thunderbolt 3 ports are (usb C with lightening above) that I know that it's not working.

The only thuing I can say right now is that the thunderbolt ports are working on the tablet wit the external device because it's working when I boot on Ubuntu 20 on the same computer (I have dual boot), but when I boot on windows, clearly I'm missing the driver. (I also updated the BIOS to latest version possible)

Also it seems that the "real" driver is the Intel Thunderbolt 3 secure connect.

That's the only that is unpacking its things and not saying anything to me as if I was missing a requirements like wrong windows build version or something, I would install the drivers manualy, but I don't know which device in device manager would take it, so I dissmissed that to avoid making things worse.

So basicly I would like to know which drver SPECIFICALLY should install the thunderbolt drivers and thunderbolt software on my computer because I didn't locate it yet. But I know it can work because Uubntu makes it work, so the computer has thunderbolt, I'm just missing the right driver fr windows.

HP Recommended

Ok so I reinstalled Windows through the downloadable CD in their driver page to get the product's original Windows version.

As soon as it was installed, I tried to installed the thunderbolt secure connect driver > no luck, then I checked the logs of it, found it weird, ran the driver installer as administrator and then it worked . .. So I don't know yet if it's linked to windows version, administrator rights or both, but at least there is a way to get thunderbolt back 😄

So it's "kind of" fixed

HP Recommended

Great.

Always install drivers with an Admin account.

Ordinary users are not permitted to make changes "under the hood" of Windows OS.

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.