Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion AU063nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello there, i have recently upgraded my service to 200mbs with a dual band smart router, modem and router capable of 1000mbs, after upgrade i come to find my wifi card only recieves 2.4ghz channel, its pitiful that my cell phone can get 140mbs on 5ghz and my new laptop can only get 100mbs via ethernet and less than 20mbs wireless, i took it to the local computer store and he did not want to touch the machine because this model is extremely hard to get into and i have read that if it only has One antenna i would have to disassemble the display aswell , so i am basically asking several questions, (1) can i upgrade to a card that is 2 x 2 A/b/g/n/AC 867mbs  like the intel 7260 or 8260 (2) does this machine have the required 2 antennas so i do not have to take apart the display?. i find it ludacris that this machine came out in 2016 and is not capable of reaching passed 100mbs, i would have never purchsed it, i intend to keep upgrading speed as long as my ISP keeps giving me good deals on service, i pay $60 for 200mbs.....card is realtek RTL8723benf Single band 2.4ghz 100mbs......thank you in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

tried all of that, yes my router is 10/100/1000, i have a D-Link smart router, even my dual band cisco router same, its the WLAN card on board, its crap only 802.11 b/g/n, direct link to router is at 95mbs.....my old laptop had a dualband but only good for 150mbs at the time my service was only 100mbs....i guess i will have to just live with it, i would upgrade the card but this machine has one antenna, and to add another would be a major job, now i know why the computer tech wanted no part of this job, but seriously, i have a 6th gen i-7 chip, 12gb ram, B&O audio, 1TB HDD, all that and they put in the absolute worst Wifi card ever? for 30 bucks i can get an intel 8260 5g 867mbs card, i thank you for your time and effort helping out

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@joseph1979

From what I have found unless you have 2 antenna cables you can not use an AC card.

Your manual here.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05228250

Look at page 2.

You could check to see if you do have 2 antenna cables.

HP Pavilion 15-au000 Notebook PC series - FRU Remove/Replace Videos

https://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=10862158&MEID=8BC6A844-F67A-49EE-B31C-F599C8D7DFED

Click on Wireless Module.

REO

HP Recommended
Thank you very much, by having a realtek or broadcom onboard means I have only one antenna
HP Recommended

>  new laptop can only get 100mbs via ethernet ...

Open "Device Manager", and expand the "Network" branch, to view the Ethernet adapter.

Is it a '10/100/1000' device?

Check its 'Properties', to ensure that usage of "Gigabit" (1000 Mbit/second) is enabled.

Are you using a CAT-5 or CAT-6 Ethernet cable between the laptop and the router?

How long is the cable?

> my cell phone can get 140mbs on 5ghz ...

That implies that your router is capable of receiving at over 100 Mb/s from your ISP.

[It also indicates that the router's wireless adapter is capable of "more-than-100Mb/s" transfer.]

Which router?  Manufacturer? Model?

Are its wired LAN ports capable of Gigabit, or are they just 10/100 ?

If you connect your laptop, via an Ethernet cable, directly to the ISP's modem, namely bypassing your router, can you now receive at "more-than-100Mb/s" speeds?  If so, then your router is the "bottle-neck".

HP Recommended

tried all of that, yes my router is 10/100/1000, i have a D-Link smart router, even my dual band cisco router same, its the WLAN card on board, its crap only 802.11 b/g/n, direct link to router is at 95mbs.....my old laptop had a dualband but only good for 150mbs at the time my service was only 100mbs....i guess i will have to just live with it, i would upgrade the card but this machine has one antenna, and to add another would be a major job, now i know why the computer tech wanted no part of this job, but seriously, i have a 6th gen i-7 chip, 12gb ram, B&O audio, 1TB HDD, all that and they put in the absolute worst Wifi card ever? for 30 bucks i can get an intel 8260 5g 867mbs card, i thank you for your time and effort helping out

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.