Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
I was trying to conduct a hard drive test when I received the message : "SMART Check: NOT INSTALLED",,,,, it says for more information visit www.hp.com/go/techcenter/PCD i ags but I cannot get any further instructions. Help!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

To solve the most common problems during startup http://www.hp.com/go/techcenter/pcd, most of the time the computer at startup if it detects an error with some components or the system by means of a code or message alerts the user to the cause of the problem so that it is easier to identify and fix.

You can check more information in this links: HP PCs - Resolving Diagnostic Errors that Display During Startup 

Sounds like the hard drive may have failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

You could first try checking the hard drive to be sure it is connected securely.It is not terribly uncommon for a laptop hard drive to become loose if dropped or jostled about during transporting,etc.

If you need more help selecting/replacing the hdd post back with full Model & Product Number as listed on the Service Tag attached to bottom of laptop.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

To solve the most common problems during startup http://www.hp.com/go/techcenter/pcd, most of the time the computer at startup if it detects an error with some components or the system by means of a code or message alerts the user to the cause of the problem so that it is easier to identify and fix.

You can check more information in this links: HP PCs - Resolving Diagnostic Errors that Display During Startup 

Sounds like the hard drive may have failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

You could first try checking the hard drive to be sure it is connected securely.It is not terribly uncommon for a laptop hard drive to become loose if dropped or jostled about during transporting,etc.

If you need more help selecting/replacing the hdd post back with full Model & Product Number as listed on the Service Tag attached to bottom of laptop.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
Thank you for your help. My hard drive was bad. HP shipped me a new one and I installed it. All files were lost but my PC is working again.
HP Recommended
I started up my computer and it's telling me Boot Device Not Found.
Please Install an Operating system on hard drive.

What should I do?
HP Recommended

Hi! Check To See If The Hard Drive Is Bad By Pressing F2

And A Run Short Test

Good Luck!

Regards: 1029rjmenvy17t

Please 'KUDO' If You Like for Thumbs Up and 'Accept As Solution' If This Fixed Your Problem

To Help Other People Find This and Help Them Fix the Same or Similar Problems

HP Recommended
as my system it is showing black screen and a note that is hard disk error for restart type cltr+alt+del....but after that a menu is opened that is hard disk error
Please run the hard disk test in system diagnostics
Hard disk 1 (3F1)
F2 system diadnostics..

As i press F2 it shows new sceen that is hp pc hardware diagnostics UEF I....as in option i slect memory test ..it started checking...it takes time..it shows result check PASSED back to main manu...as same i have made drive check also..it also shows same result PASSED.............but nothing is happening..my leptop is not working...it is showing same screen for restart the window and hard disk errors.............plzzzzz....solve my problem....help me.....
HP Recommended
Ok I was playing sims4 when I got a pop up saying call this number to fix your computer I didn't call....it was a spam popup so I just turned off my computer when I turned it on it said diagnosing your pc and it did that for like 5 hours then said reset your pc to a time when not infected or something like that so I did and now it told me to go on this website so I did thank you.
HP Recommended
Same with mine WHATS GOING ON
HP Recommended
I have the same problem as virenda2
HP Recommended
pls I am having a problem with my Laptop. I tried to turn it on and its showing:
Boot Device Not Found
please install an operating system on your hard disk.
Hard Disk (3F0)
F2 system Diagnostics
For more information , please visit www.HP.com/techcenter/startup..

please I need a help, what should I do?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.