Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Laptop - 15z-ee000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My ~2 month old x360 laptop idles at about 40-50C which is normal and great, but under what I would call normal loads (Zoom calls) it rockets to 85-90C, with fans at full blast. Do these models just have poor thermal management? I have a 5 year old Asus laptop that doesn't bat an eye at my typical usage, but this thing acts like I'm bitcoin mining.

No, there is not dust in the laptop, it is 2 months old.

No, the air vents are not blocked.

Bios is up to date, F.15 Rev A released November 26, 2020.

Windows power plan is set to Balanced.

Running Windows 10 Pro with a clean install.

Latest AMD Radeon Software installed as I saw this recommended by some other threads related to microphone driver issues.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JG2910

Welcome to HP Support Community

I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in troubleshooting this issue

I suggest you follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01007591

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response! I have already gone through that page, and most of the suggestions are actually already covered by my original post.

My notes on the suggestions from the link you provided:

1. Change the thermal profile in HP command center
    This laptop is on a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, and for some reason HP does not provide a way to download HP command center as a separate download. If you can provide a way to download HP Command Center, I'd be happy to try this one!
  2. Clean the air vents
    As I mentioned in the original post this is a 2 month old laptop, the vents are not dirty or obstructed.
  3. Update the bios
    As I mentioned in the original post this is on the latest BIOS version.
  4. Update the graphics driver
    As I mentioned in the original post the graphics driver is up to date
  5. Use task manager to identify corrupt processes
    I'm not sure what "corrupt processes" implies here but when Zoom is running it inherently uses a lot of RAM and CPU power, there are no other processes which stick out.
  6. Adjust the power settings
    As I mentioned in the original post the power settings are set to balanced.
  7. Increase the efficiency to reduce heat
    This is a brand new laptop and I'm using it for web browsing and zoom calls, no gaming, no performance intensive applications, I don't think this applies to my situation.
  8. Install updates in Windows Update
    Fully up to date.
  9. Contact HP Customer Support
    I am!

So are the temperatures I'm observing under very normal non-gaming usage "typical" or expected?

Can any other owners chime in here?

I'll add as a final note that I won't be reinstalling Windows if that is a suggestion, I don't see blindly wiping a machine and starting over to see what happens as a valid troubleshooting step.

HP Recommended

Simple applications shouldn't cause overheating which causes the fan to spin louder 

I suggest you contact HP Support in your region and HP Engineers should be able to remote into your notebook and check it out

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.