Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-AE012DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After 8 months of normal (or less than normal) use, I recently began to receive the 90B warning about cooling at startup. It occurs most but not all times at startup (both from off and from sleep).

Actions taken so far:

• Shutting down and restarting
  • Using compressed air through external vents
  • Upgrading bios (current: AMI F.22)

What next actions should I take? 

I understand this may have to do with a known issue in x360 cooling. Is there a proper fix? 

I have been happy with my x360 and hope it will continue to operate at a high level!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @zteutsch,

If you've already ensured that the vent has been cleared of any dust and have read through this HP Document, then it is in your best interest to contact HP for warranty support:

Contact HP Worldwide here.

Phone HP Worldwide here.

Check warranty status here.

Find an HP Authorized Service Center near you here.

Opening the laptop and cleaning the fan area may be worth a try but risky if you're not careful. Steps to removing the bottom cover are located on pages 29-30 of your computer's Maintenance and Service Guide.

To my knowledge, opening the laptop and replacing a few parts (RAM, HDD) is OK but damage incured by the replacement and the replacement parts themselves will not be covered under warranty therefore this won't void your warranty.

Anyhow, I'd recommend just contacting support.

Kind regards,

Eddy

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @zteutsch,

Are you still under warranty? How old is the laptop?

BTW, do you notice that the computer overheats and the fans don't kick in all the time?

You may be interested reading this HP Document and testing the hardware in the HP UEFI Diagnostics:

1. Repeatedly press Esc upon startup
  2. Select F2 (System Diagnostics)
  3. Select the desired language
  4. Navigate to system tests
  5. Select Fast test
  6. Conduct a fan test if it is avaliable in component tests

Kind regards,

Eddy

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. 

I bought it about 8 months ago. It's under warranty until November 20, 2018. 

Will give that a shot. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. 

I bought it about 8 months ago. It's under warranty until November 20, 2018. 

I ran the UEFI Diagnostic process. The fast test resulted in the computer passing all checks. There was no fan test in the component options. 

HP Recommended

Hello @zteutsch,

If you've already ensured that the vent has been cleared of any dust and have read through this HP Document, then it is in your best interest to contact HP for warranty support:

Contact HP Worldwide here.

Phone HP Worldwide here.

Check warranty status here.

Find an HP Authorized Service Center near you here.

Opening the laptop and cleaning the fan area may be worth a try but risky if you're not careful. Steps to removing the bottom cover are located on pages 29-30 of your computer's Maintenance and Service Guide.

To my knowledge, opening the laptop and replacing a few parts (RAM, HDD) is OK but damage incured by the replacement and the replacement parts themselves will not be covered under warranty therefore this won't void your warranty.

Anyhow, I'd recommend just contacting support.

Kind regards,

Eddy

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

HP Recommended

Hi there, same problem, no spinning, or heating issues. No longer under warranty. Is there any literature for where the fan is, disassembly, etc? I find stuff on youtube, but never the exact same model, so want to be sure. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.