Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
zBook Studio G5
Linux

Hi,

I am currentl looking for a powerful mobile laptop. A good screen with good colors and brightness is very important for me. I found the zBook Studio G5 with the DreamColor option.

Does the DreamColor option rely on any software? I'll be using my laptop under Linux, is that likely to be supported?

If anyone hasalternative suggestions for a lightweight machine with good battery life and good bright / color accurate screen, I am all yours 🙂

Cheers,

Nils

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

There is a dreamcolor assistant app that comes with Windows. I believe the whole Dreamcolor system is a combination of very high end hardware and HP software. Linux has its own color management features and I think if you use Linux on a machine with a Dreamcolor display you will likely wind up doing some manual calibration but you will get results that are superior to other mobile workstations, just not a full Dreamcolor experience. 

HP Recommended

Thanks! Do you know if the Dreamcolor app relates to the Nvidia GPU or is it just a OS -> Screen setting?

I.e. if I where to disable the Nvidia, would I still be able to use the DreamColor functionality?

Thanks again

HP Recommended

You mean in Windows as I already said you are not going to have full Dreamcolor support in Linux? Getting switchable graphics configured in Linux is not very easy to do but in Windows it is trivial. I believe the Windows dreamcolor app caibrates the monitor and sets the color profile regardless of the video chip being used at any given moment. 

HP Recommended

Got it, thanks! That means probably that I would still benefit from the Dreamcolor's display's brightness under linux but the automatic calibration would not work. 

I wonder whether it would be possible to export the automatically set color profile in windows and import that in Linux 🙂 That would be better than nothing...

Yeah, NVidia under Linux is a pain, especially if used with Wayland...

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.