Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-af156sa (energy star)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently my hardrive failed on my hp laptop, I return it to the store still under warranty and they send it off to be repaired by know how. 

I got the laptop back yesterday and some paperwork saying the hardrive had been replaced, the laptop was already running when it arrived and I got straight into using it for about an hour before it crashed (windows 10 screen about encountering a problem and the device needing to restart)

when the the device restarted it was stuck indefinitely on the hp loading screen (nothing but the hp logo and the spinning white circle) and so I turned it off again after a while, removed the battery and held the power button to drain any left over power  and tried again.  This time I got the hp logo and "attempting automatic repair" text but after about 10 seconds it goes to a black screen and nothing happens. 

I decided to try and restore to factory settings, I turn the device off and back on again and pressed f11 to boot to the recovery manager, the text appeared in the bottom left corner to say the device had registered that I was pressing the button but then the screen goes black and nothing happens again. I launched to the BIOS menu next and reset all the settings to the default and tried once more but nothing happened once again.

one final attempt and I decided to run a extensive system test, the device failed on the hard drive short DST test with the failure ID UC097X-83D89R-XD7WLK-60R003

im really hoping this is a simple fix and that I don't need another new hardrive or possibly a new laptop. 

Any help would be very much appreciated 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would take it back to the people who tried to fix it. The error message means you have a bad hard drive. I question whether they actually replaced your old one. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I would take it back to the people who tried to fix it. The error message means you have a bad hard drive. I question whether they actually replaced your old one. 

HP Recommended

Okay I will get straight back on that, thank you for the reply!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.