Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
I haven't been able to do anything on this computer. First I went to Microsoft but because they couldn't get around the lack of administrative privileges they sent me here. They suggested a fresh install but again, never was able to do anything. I can't download, install, change or do anything to this machine. I can't even update the norton anti virus it came loaded with. THAT is my problem. I recieved a gift which is in a sense a paper weight. I've begun to hate this machine as I can't even use it. All I wanted was to factory reset it so that it would be brand new in a sense to me.
HP Recommended
Again, I haven't recieved any recovery anything from any one as I don't want to recover anything. I want a full clean wipe.
HP Recommended

@xXDEADPOOLXx

Thank you, I understand the confusion now

when you mentioned the word "recover again", you think recover is referring to recovering a certain file or data, although, when you read my articles clearly, you would notice that the word recover in our context is to recover the original operating system by deleting the current problematic version of windows.

Therefore, I've been trying to help you with exactly what you were looking for all along!

I would also like to let you know that the recovery isn't something you get along with the computer, nay! you must create one on your PC when it's turned on for the first time, however, if you aren't able to create one, you need to purchase one from HP.

From the above conversation, all I have to say is - "God is in the details, we just need to look carefully" 😉

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
So basically I'm just screwed and got a really fancy looking paperweight?
HP Recommended
There isn't a way to reset it back to factory again?
HP Recommended

@xXDEADPOOLXx

Thank you for replying,

Please take long, deep breaths, relax and then read that the only reason I'm constantly replying,

Is because I genuinely care about you and your computer, also because this issue can be resolved (no one said its going to be easy, but we will get there, soon).

Besides, this is not & never will it be a paperweight, I'm not sure how much you think the recovery media is, but let me tell you, it's approximate $50 or lesser, that said, I'm not sure how much of the words you read from those links I keep talking about, you can also attempt to reinstall the OS using the recovery manager by tapping F11 (during the restart)

Let me list out the steps for your ease of access:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware.

Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.

3. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key about once every second until the Choose and options screen is displayed, and then continue.

4. On the Choose an Option screen, click Troubleshoot.

Figure : Choose an option with Troubleshoot selected

Choose an option with Troubleshoot selected
  5. On the Troubleshoot screen, click Recovery Manager.

Figure : Troubleshoot with Recovery Manager selected

Troubleshoot screen with Recovery Manager selected
  6. Under Help, click System Recovery.

Figure : Help with System Recovery selected

Recovery Manager with Help and System Recovery selected
  7. When Recovery Manager prompts you to back up your files, select a backup option:

NOTE:

Depending on the version of Windows, the following screens might appear slightly different.

Follow the instructions to backup your files and recover the system.

8. The Welcome to HP Recovery Manager screen is displayed. Read the on-screen information, and then disconnect any connected devices and cables, such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes.

9. Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware.

Do not disconnect the monitor, keyboard, mouse, or power cord.

10. Click Next to continue.

Figure : HP Recovery Manager screen

HP Recovery Manager welcome screen

HP Recovery Manager prepares the computer for recovery.

NOTE:

This process can take as long as 30 to 45 minutes. Do not interrupt HP Recovery Manager during the recovery process.

Figure : Recovery preparation

Recovery preparation
  11. When recovery preparation is complete, click Continue to proceed to the installation phase of the recovery process. The computer restarts several times during the recovery. This is normal. Do not close, shut down, or disconnect the computer while HP Recovery runs.

Figure : Recovery preparation is complete

Recovery preparation is complete
  12. Recovery Manager reformats the Windows partition and reinstalls the original software.

13. After the system recovery is complete, click Finish to restart the computer. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.

14. Once the setup is complete, turn off the computer, reconnect all devices and cables, and then turn on the computer.

15. Before using the computer, update and protect your computer by reinstalling any virus and security software that was installed before the system recovery.

16. Reinstall any software programs that were added after purchasing the computer, as well as any files that were backed up.

I went ahead and posted the entire article here, please give me some good news when you reply back this time.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I'm gonna go ahead and post step 4  that you just sent me: 
     4:  From the Start screen, type recovery manager, and then select HP Recovery Manager from the search results.
If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide the confirmation. If a User Account Control window asks if you want to allow the program to make changes to the computer, click Yes.

Again, I don't have the administrator password. I don't have any way to get that either. I don't know how much more clear on that I can be. That was and is the entire reason I need to factory reset this machine.  So again, running the HP recovery manager isn't an option. So yes, this machine in it's current state is a paperweight. I'm trying really hard to take deep breaths here bit it seems like we still have a miscommunication error. 
HP Recommended

@xXDEADPOOLXx

Thank you for replying,

That was my bad, I seem to have posted another article from the same link due to all the excitement of resolving this once and for all, although, it's now been edited, please check the same post for renewed faith and renewed steps or just click here to view it.

This is it! this should take care of things,

Keep me posted 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for getting a little upset, this has just been a very upsetting ordeal trying to get this computer to work. It's getting closer to getting the good ol' Deadpool treatment., lol.

I followed your steps but wasn't able to get far at all.  Unfortunately this is what pops up when I hit F11 on boot up. Hitting Enter and F8 does nothing, Just refreshes the screen basically. Hitting ESC allows me to finish booting up the system.0602172008.jpg

HP Recommended

@xXDEADPOOLXx

Thank you for replying and taking my suggestion on long breaths 😉

Although it looks like we need a short coffee break because if you read the instructions carefully,

It doesn't talk about F8 anywhere on the steps, it only talks about "Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key about once every second until the Choose and options screen is displayed, and then continue".

If the issue persists, my friend you will need to get yourself a recovery media as that would be the only other option, Click here to order one for yourself and keep me posted,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.