Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 430 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, 

I have an issue with my laptop. Today I wanted to calibrate the new battery I purchased and I followed the directions from HP (this link here: HP Notebook PCs - Testing and calibrating the battery (Windows) | HP® Customer Support). I did manual battery calibration, and after the extensive memory test completely discharged my battery, my laptop shut down. I waited like they said for about 6 hours and recharged my battery while PC was off. Then I waited for about 3 hours to make sure battery fully charged. I turned it on and my system crashed, with the error message "3F0 boot service not found". I previously always had the same error whenever laptop turned off due to battery discharge, or when it was powered on AC adapter and suddenly lost power. I had to reinstall the OS one more time. What could be the issue of this? Why does system always crash whenever battery goes to 0% and laptop turns off? Also, how to calibrate the battery I just bought? I tried all the methods HP suggested but it still doesn't show the right remaining percentage. Thanks in advance.

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

When your car has a flat tire you probably don't buy a new car and when the boot device is not accessible you don't have to reinstall windows.
When you have a MBR-Drive you have to enable Legacy in the Boot-Menue and when you have a GPT-Drive you have to enable UEFI.
So check that first and enter the BIOS: Press ESC and then F10 and look for Boot Options.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Like I said, I had the same problem previously, last year to be exact, and nothing helped but Windows reinstallation. Legacy was already enabled in my case. I tried to disable it as well, to see if it would make a difference, but nothing worked. 

HP Recommended

It might be possible that your NVRam ist cleared when you have a comlete lost of power. So try to initialise the Windows Boot Manager by selecting the boot drive in BIOS.

Otherwise the boot partition must be repaired. For that you have to know if you have a MBR or GPT drive.

For that you need a PE-Medium like the "Media Creation Tool" and run diskpart

HP Recommended

Could you explain a bit more on how to do all that? Thanks for your help. I know that I have a GPT drive when I used diskpart.

HP Recommended

What do you see when you press F9 in Boot Menue. Do you see a diskname or "Windows Boot Manager"

HP Recommended

I have these 3 options: 1) UEFI - Windows Boot Manager, 2) Legacy N/W, and 3) Boot from file.

HP Recommended

OK, you are running the system in UEFI Mode.

So prepare a Boot stick like Media Creation Tool and come back when ready.

HP Recommended

I already have a USB with Windows media creation tool ready. Thank you again for helping me.  Could you write the further steps on how to fix this issue, please?

HP Recommended

OK, boot from the USB-disk and on the second setup page you find this:

Computerreparaturoptionen.png

Select repair and go to command prompt.

In Command prompt type:

diskpart

list disk

sel disk 0

list par

Now you should find a FAT32 Partition (100 MB) 

What is the number (1?)

type

sel par 1 (if it is 1)

then type

list vol

assign letter="B"

exit

Check if your Windows partition is C from the list vol command.

If not change it in the following command

bcdboot c:\windows /l de-de /s B: /f UEFI

exit

That's  it you are ready

Close the Installation

remove the USB-Stick

Reboot

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.