Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 17-g12wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I used Acronis 2017 to recovery Windows 10, my apps, and data files. Eveything went fine, or so I thought. I went in to personalization and discoveed that Windows 10 was not activates. Since Windows 10 was installed on my laptop when I bought it I have no idea where to find the product key. Is there some place where the digital key is hidden?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, that is good news that there is a W10 product key in the BIOS.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to contact the Microsoft Customer Support for further assistance.

https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/contact/menu/software/windows/setup/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, if the notebook came from HP with W10 installed, there should be a W10 product key in the BIOS, and it should have automatically activated.

So I think there may be a problem...

I have zipped up and attached a free utility that will detect and show the product key in the BIOS, below.

The most common issue is that the original operating system works fine but if HP mistakenly installed a motherboard without a product key, then subsequent installations of W10 will not activate because there is no W10 product key.

There are models in that series that come with FreeDOS, and the motherboards in those models would not have an embedded W10 product key.

So, if the keyfinder program does not show a W10 product key in the BIOS, you will have to contact HP technical support, and ask them to send you a W10 Home product key.

HP Recommended

I downloaded and ran the exe file. The result was:

Produce Name

Product ID:

Installed Key

OEM Key

OEm Edition

The Installed Key and OEM key are the same. I tried entering the Installed Key, and then the OEM Key without success. Neither of them are recognized. What do I do next? Please note that I am go to Settinxs, Personalization. There is where I get the message: "You need to activate Windows before you can personalize your PC."

HP Recommended

Well, that is good news that there is a W10 product key in the BIOS.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to contact the Microsoft Customer Support for further assistance.

https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/contact/menu/software/windows/setup/

HP Recommended

Thanks for helping.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.