Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion Power 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm currently facing a Windows 10 hard drive installation issue that seems to be unsolvable at the moment. All of the usual solutions to the problem have failed. Simply put, I cannot install Windows 10 onto my new SSHD via the traditional route of bootable USB media and the Windows media creation tool. I made a post prior to this counting out the exhaustive list of methods I have tried to solve this. 

So, now I'm thinking outside the box. My initial research for this was fruitless as there was no succinct way for me to describe the solution I'm looking for, so I'm posting it here to see if there is a way to do this.

Would it be possible for me to install Windows 10 onto my new hard drive from another laptop, via a USB connection? I would then hypothetically take this Windows 10 installed hard drive and put it internally into my laptop to "bypass" having to install from a bootable USB. It would theoretically give me the OOTB experience when I first booted it up. FYI both laptops' drives are GPT partitioned and since my hard drive is new I couldn't care less about formatting. This sounds super wacky because I'm facing, quite frankly, a wacky problem and I've become quite desperate to find solutions to get past this infernal Windows 10 USB install screen - large amounts of raw unallocated space haunt my dreams daily 😧

Oh, and even if my method is impossible, if there is a way to not have to install Windows 10 directly on my laptop I would love to know of its existence.

Specs:

My laptop: HP Power Pavillion 15

New SSHD: SATA Firecuda 1Tb 2.5inch 5400RPM

I have a SATA hard drive case that came with a USB to USB wire

I also have a SATA to USB cable handy and access to another laptop

Thanks in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@LTM123 

If your plan is to try to install Windows to an external drive connected via USB then sorry, that will not work.

There is an instance where that will, but that is a special instance known as Windows To Go and that only applies only to Enterprise and Education versions of Windows.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@LTM123 

If your plan is to try to install Windows to an external drive connected via USB then sorry, that will not work.

There is an instance where that will, but that is a special instance known as Windows To Go and that only applies only to Enterprise and Education versions of Windows.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks WAWood, was just contemplating my options in regards to fixing the hard drive issue, so it's good to know that there's only so many things that are possible.

Cheers 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.