Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 13-D046TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After installing the firmware updated marked Softpaq number: SP75152, Version F.35Ap1 now four of our laptops (13" ENVY and 14" ENVY) have a non-functioning HDMI port. External screens report 'no signal'.

We've spent a lot of time with HP support (via Hong Kong we ended up in India). Remote Control sessions. All a waste of time. The BIOS update is faulty, no system restore can fix this.

Even still today (13 JUN 2016) one of our laptops automatically installed this BIOS update with the HP Support Assistant, and killed the HDMI port.

A. Is there a way to acquire and install the previous BIOS?

B. When can we expect a new BIOS update?

C. How the hell did this BIOS update get past testing??? --> 4 out of 4 updated laptops have a broken HDMI port. We have 7 other laptops left that are fortunately not updated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @BugFinder, and @DebVancouver,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. From what I gather bothl of you are having the same issue with HDMI after a BIOS update.  I am happy to help with this.

I would suggest, if possible, that each of you try HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS to rollback to the previously working BIOS.  The main intent is to get you back to a working state. If that method does work for you, obviously do not install that BIOS update again.

Edit: Bugfinder reported that the Restoring the BIOS method did work for him, but he had to do it multiple times (4 times in at least one case). I guess you could say he is living up to his name, and thank you very much for the feedback.

Please let me know whether that works for any of you, and if not let me know if there is an error message of any kind. If this does resolve your immediate issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

I too did the BIOS upgrade to my ENVY 12t-d0000 which caused my HDMI to stop working.  After several hours with HP chat support and some sort of bios update, I'm still w/out a working HDMI.  I have been expecting an ecalation case manager to contact me, but it's been 40 hours so far (was promised to be contacted w/in 48 hours).  At this point, even though I've been a loyal HP customer for years, I'm VERY FRUSTRATED.

Any suggestions on what I can try next?

HP Recommended

No suggestions, we've been waiting since Thursday (in China). We're well past 100 hours now.

So I REALLY hope someone from HP notices this, and/or all the calls and chats we have had about BIOS update.

HP Recommended

Hi there @BugFinder, and @DebVancouver,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. From what I gather bothl of you are having the same issue with HDMI after a BIOS update.  I am happy to help with this.

I would suggest, if possible, that each of you try HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS to rollback to the previously working BIOS.  The main intent is to get you back to a working state. If that method does work for you, obviously do not install that BIOS update again.

Edit: Bugfinder reported that the Restoring the BIOS method did work for him, but he had to do it multiple times (4 times in at least one case). I guess you could say he is living up to his name, and thank you very much for the feedback.

Please let me know whether that works for any of you, and if not let me know if there is an error message of any kind. If this does resolve your immediate issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

I believe the online chat agent I worked with 2 days ago tried that, with no change to the HDMI.  Now, when I try to run the HP HW Diagnostic found on the HP Support site, I get an error saying that I have a newer version already.

HP Recommended

I just notice the option to try to install a previous version.  I'm trying that now.  Wish me luck.

HP Recommended

Drat, didn't work.  BIOS update didn't allow me to install a previous version (F.25 Rev A)

HP Recommended

I have not idea why, but 'just for grins' I restarted everything, re-seated the HDMI cable and now it's working.  Do I trust it to continue working?

HP Recommended

@DebVancouver,

By any chance have you tried to reinstall the graphics driver for your notebook?  It may help.

Let me know the result either way.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I tried to run an HP HW diagnostic, but got an error that I had a new version (probably something the chat agent put on my system somewhere, not sure where).  I then tried to re-install an older version of the BIOS (f.25) but only had the option to create a USB drive BIOS recovery file so I closed that option.  I then, just for grins, restarted both my monitor and laptop and re-connected both ends of my HDMI cable.  It now works.

according to System Info I have BIOS veriosn Insyde f.35, 3/4/2016, SMBIOS 2.8

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.