Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@DebVancouver,

I am happy to hear that it is now working for you.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi @DebVancouver,

Great to read that you have a working HDMI port again!

Can you make a best guess what solved the issue for you?

Was it the BIOS recovery attempt?

Did you try the BIOS recovery with the HP W/H Diagnostic software or via booting your laptop while pressing and holding the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time?

Or was the likely soluvtion running the HP H/W Diagnostic software?

Did you update your HP H/W Diagnostic software before running it?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT0

Thanks in advanced for sharing any information and guesses!

Your answers may really help me. I have to try to explain over the internet today to my 4 non-IT colleagues how to solve thei HDMI problem. I therefore want to keep the instructions as simple as possible. I can't ask them to just try some stuff. Normally I'd help them with TeamViewer, but with H/W Diagnotistic and BIOS updates they are freaking out doing this themselves. And HP support of these 4-months old laptops is abismal. None of the chat reps we talked with pointed out the BIOS roll-back option. I'm already giving Kudos to @Malygris1 for giving that link/option, and you for giving feedback that some of this instructions may have caused it to work again.

HP Recommended

Update.

Our first user (out of four) to test both the BIOS and H/W Test had success after doing the BIOS recovery four times. So it really took four attempts, but then it worked. In between the HDMI did not work.

Seems weird to try four, but we were helped by knowing that at least one user (@DebVancouver) had success already.

I'll accept the solution by @Malygris1, but Malygris1 could you edit your post saying that at least one user reports that the BIOS recovery had to be done several (four) times. This may help future users.

I'll report how/if we could fix the other three laptops too.

HP Recommended

@BugFinder,

Thank you for the update, and I agree that it is strange that you had to do the recovery multiple times to get it to work. But yes I will add that to my previous post.  I am just glad I could help all of you with this.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I'm not sure what all the agent did on my behalf earlier.  I know the agent attempted to update/repair the BIOS at least once, using some sort of agent-code to get at a file.  But as I said, that didn't fix the problem.

I never tried the BIOS recovery with the HP W/H Diagnostic software or via booting your laptop while pressing and holding the Windows logo key  and the B key at the same time?--- I didn't even know about that option.

Based on comments you and others left, first I made sure that both my monitor and HDMI cable work functioning properly (with the help of another computer, cable and monitor).  I then attempted to run the HP diagnostic found on the HP Support site for that laptop.  When I tried to run that diagnostic, I got an error stating that a more recent version was already installed on my machine with 'cancel' as the only option --- which I did.  Then I attempted to install a previous version of the BIOS (f.25), but when that s/w was installed, I was only presented the option to create a USB boot for another machine or save (remotely) a BIOS file copy (advanced user only), so I aborted that.  

At that point, mostly as a curiosity, I powered down both my laptop and monitor.  Unplugged and reconnected the HDMI cable and then started both devices.  At that point, the remote monitor was recognized by the laptop and all now seems to be working.

So, I can't really say what I did specifically to fix it. I did restart the computer multiple times along the way, but not sure how much that mattered.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.