Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Zbook G3 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello dear hp wizards!

I have a weird problem. When I'm attempting to install the newest BIOS update thru HP Support Assistant, the installation program asks me for my BIOS password which doesn't work for some reason, but it works fine at startup when I access BIOS setup / update BIOS after I have to give the password there, it even gives me the happy "bleep bleep bleep bleep"- sound. I've never had this problem before. 

Any ideas?

kody

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @kodegear

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome!

It seems from your post that the problem is the password.I understand that it is accepted in BIOS and it works fine.

May I suggest you remove the password temporary AND also reset the BIOS to default settings before attempting to update it ?  This will probably fix the issue.  After successful BIOS update you can restore the password.

Re. BIOS update - please check this article and try the USB method

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629/

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629#AbT1

Out of this, personally, I do not recommend you do it unless you experience some issues with your existing BIOS and you are sure that the new BIOS will fix it.

General recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but may introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Same applies for Windows Updates, OS update, drivers updates, etc - upgrade/update IF you have issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

Hope this helps.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @kodegear

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome!

It seems from your post that the problem is the password.I understand that it is accepted in BIOS and it works fine.

May I suggest you remove the password temporary AND also reset the BIOS to default settings before attempting to update it ?  This will probably fix the issue.  After successful BIOS update you can restore the password.

Re. BIOS update - please check this article and try the USB method

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629/

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629#AbT1

Out of this, personally, I do not recommend you do it unless you experience some issues with your existing BIOS and you are sure that the new BIOS will fix it.

General recommendation I provide to users/customers is NOT to upgrade BIOS/UEFI unless they experience any kind of specific BIOS/UEFI issue. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but may introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Same applies for Windows Updates, OS update, drivers updates, etc - upgrade/update IF you have issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

Hope this helps.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

I'm an Enterprise customer. We're now encountering this problem with a recent "HP Firmware Update" that was made available through Microsoft Update. Our Win 10 fleet began accepting this update and ran into problem with the machines that have a bios administrator password set. The symptoms are the same: We have a known good password for the bios, but when prompted after the update is applied, it won't accept it.

Disabling the password and resetting security settings isn't an option for us. That's too much manual intervention for my team. Why was a botched update released? Is there a manageable fix we can deploy without resorting to manual intervention? Does the packaged update in MS Update catalog include a secret master password? (that doesnt work when the admin password is actually set)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.