Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do you stop BIOS update forcing its way to Windows Update? I checked the windows update and the bios update managed to forced its way in there again. The last time the BIOS update forced its way into the windows update, the laptop became unusable to the point where I had to get it repaired. I really don't want to have to have any problems with it again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @littlelady8 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community.

While this may look like HP BIOS issue, it's actually a Microsoft/Windows problem because of the design of Windows 10 - Windows 10 is the first Windows OS which obviously/clearly gives the users less or no control of what gets installed and when exactly. It happens by Microsoft decision, not user decision.

With Windows 10 Home basically you have little to no control , or temporary control what gets installed.

With Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise (made for businesses primary) you have somehow more control when things get installed but you cannot select which Microsoft updates to install or not.

With this Microsoft way, today they push you a BIOS update, tomorrow they may push faulty Windows update which corrupts your OS (happens occasionally), the other day they may push other unwanted software.

100% permanent solution is to get rid of Windows and change the operating system to something better which does not force you, like the GNU/Linux-based operating systems. Some more reasons:

>> https://itsfoss.com/linux-better-than-windows/

>> http://whylinuxisbetter.net/en/

Another workarounds:

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @littlelady8 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community.

While this may look like HP BIOS issue, it's actually a Microsoft/Windows problem because of the design of Windows 10 - Windows 10 is the first Windows OS which obviously/clearly gives the users less or no control of what gets installed and when exactly. It happens by Microsoft decision, not user decision.

With Windows 10 Home basically you have little to no control , or temporary control what gets installed.

With Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise (made for businesses primary) you have somehow more control when things get installed but you cannot select which Microsoft updates to install or not.

With this Microsoft way, today they push you a BIOS update, tomorrow they may push faulty Windows update which corrupts your OS (happens occasionally), the other day they may push other unwanted software.

100% permanent solution is to get rid of Windows and change the operating system to something better which does not force you, like the GNU/Linux-based operating systems. Some more reasons:

>> https://itsfoss.com/linux-better-than-windows/

>> http://whylinuxisbetter.net/en/

Another workarounds:

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hello @IT_WinSec

Thank you for the information. I started of have this issue last month. I ended letting the bios update however, it turned into a disaster which resulted my laptop becoming unusable. I did send it in to get repaired.

My laptop did attempt to the same thing today but I canceled the bios update before it did anything. I never knew updating a laptop could cause grief.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

You are most welcome, @littlelady8 

If the update did come from Windows Update, your first actions should really be to use the Microsoft tool to temporary hide an update and kind of skip it for about 30-35 days >> https://www.itechtics.com/hide-update-install-windows-10/

HP Recommended

Is that the new feature that came with Windows 10 1903?

HP Recommended

I am afraid, not, it has always been like that, since initial release, in July 2015

HP Recommended

Alright. I will have to take a look. Also I was taking a look at the windows update history and saw underneath the HP Firmware stating that it requires a restart to finish installing. Since I already canceled the bios when in attempted to install, is it going to eventually restart and install?

HP Recommended

If you did cancel the update, it should be cancelled and should not install.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.