Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm on Windows v. 1809 and am trying to upgrade to 1909. I've tried multiple times, but I always get BSOD with stop code 'WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR'.  There's also the notice 'Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.' When the info collection reaches 100%, it freezes, and I have to revert back to v. 1809 to be able to use the laptop again.

Here's what I've tried so far:

* updated bios

* updated graphics driver

* ran system file checker, which fixed some corrupt files

* ran Windows defender offline scan to check for malware/viruses

* ran Operating System Diagnostics check via HP's OS Check -- 'no issues found'

* ran MS Troubleshooter (for Windows Update issues) -- 'Troubleshooter couldn't identify the problem'

* called Windows support -- they told me to upgrade to 2004 instead

* tried upgrading to 2004; alert indicates my laptop's not compatible

* called Windows support again -- they told me 'make sure all available driver/UEFI updates are installed' and 'that error typically means the motherboard needs to be replaced' (I'm not sure how to do the former)

My waranty expired ~3 weeks ago.

Note: I believe at some point, I deleted some MS file or process that was taking up a lot of processing power or otherwise slowing down my computer. Can't remember exactly what it was anymore. Possible that's related ...

Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@buscuit There are a few things that should help us fix this issue,

Fix 1 - Get all the latest updates with Windows Update. 

Open Start Menu and go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and then select Check for updates.

Fix 2 - Perform a System Restore 

1) Open Start Menu and go to Control Panel, select Recovery. 
2) Open System Restore > Next. Select a previous working state, and then select Next > Finish.

Fix 3 - Troubleshoot driver issues in Safe Mode 

1) Reboot your PC, press F8 or shift + F8 to Enter Safe Mode. Ask your manufacturer for the exact key if neither works. 

2) Click Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart.

3) In Safe Mode, press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and press enter button to open Device Manager. 

4) If there's any yellow or red sign in any device, update it. After that, restart and see if Whea uncorrectable error still exists.

Fix 4 - Check for Hardware Issues

In the Safe Mode, open Start Menu, type chkdsk, and press enter to run the application.  

This will then check and repair your disk for errors.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle. I tried working through your suggested fixes, but the laptop doesn't recognize my password in safe mode, so I couldn't get access. And now I've managed to completely lock myself out, since I could only get into safe mode via command prompt and, since I'm now locked out, I can't get back into command prompt to get out of safe mode.

HP Recommended

@buscuit

Thank you for keeping us posted

I suggest you perform a Reset. Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, Krazy. I did end up doing exactly that earlier today. Lost all my files, but at least I'm now on an updated version of Windows. Not sure I should mark your solution as 'accepted', though, since I had to do a manual install of Windows using a USB, since I was completely locked out.

HP Recommended

@buscuit

I'm glad you got his issue sorted out

Drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.