Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-CW0005UR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI, All

I'm in trouble the second day, when tried to use the AMD virtualization for Android Emulator usage.

The virtualization on 64-bit system is the must for latest Emulator versions.

Windows is up to date, v.1903 Home edition, AMD Ryzen 5 processor.

1) Before i tried already to enable the virtualization in BIOS (some old factory version), and in previous Win10 version (prior 1903) this was working (!): the Android Emulator worked OK, when Windows Hypervisor Platform was enabled.

Another Android emulator MEMU after start was making BSOD "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" when WHP was active, but if disabled - MEMU worked OK, but Android Emulator - did not without WHP.

2) After update to Win10 v.1903 - the Android Emulator stopped to work with error about trouble with virtualization.

It's Home edition, again. 

3) And I thought that i can go back to the MEMU emulator, but here (in Win10 v.1903) - MEMU always gets BSOD ! At any settings of WHP, but when the BIOS virtualization is on.

4) After many Internet readings - i decided to update the BIOS of this HP Pavilion AMD laptop. It is version F.31 now.

And it cannot be downgraded ! WHY ?!

With this BIOS v.F.31, if the virtualization is ON - Win10 periodically falls into BSODs "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" or "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED", in 2-3 mins after reboot.

And finally after some reboots - BSOD is in 15-30 seconds after reboot.

The switching virtualization off in BIOS does not help !

Helps only the saved restoring point of Win10, if was created (disabled by default in Win10).

ANY HELP, please. 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Now i have restored from a saved point and postponed Win10's updates,  do not touch the virtualization - works for now,  but.... any second i'm afraid that again your notebook can be a useless brick. 😞

HP Recommended

I have almost new Pavillion 15z that was throwing BSODs after applying the 19-06 cumulative patch in WIndows.  Mine has the new NVME style M.2 ssd.  I solved the problem by delaying updates as you did then:

1. Applying all current driver and software updates using the HP support assistant

2. Downloading the Intel Driver and Support Assistant and applying all the updates that it recommended

One of the updates the Intel Assistant recommended was a new driver for the Intel NVME drive.

After that I was able to apply all the Microsoft updates without a problem.

One note, while the drive does use a GPT type partition manager, I did turn on Legacy support in the BIOS as I read somewhere that it helps to have that on when using an NVME drive.  

I do have virtualization turned on, but I have turned off secure boot and TPM.

At this point I believe the new Intel NVME driver was the solution to the page fault problem.

HP Recommended

Actually, my AMD processor book is also just recently bought, the system SSD is the same, but second HDD was already replaced by me to another SSD.  Strange that if this might be important.

But how to detect which driver makes BSOD in some time after Win10 re-installation ? Now there is no dump files after BSOD.

When i loaded the book (with switched ON virtualization) from a Win10 live flashdrive - it worked OK - so BIOS looks OK...

HP Recommended

It looks as though this is another Microsoft update problem, in this case with 19-06 cumulative update..  I reinstalled everything (following my instructions in the earlier email) on my Pavillion 15z and it worked for a while with no BSODs.  However, once the hard disk had about 100G of content the BSODs came back every time something new was written to the hard disk.  I ran a  test on the SSD and there were no reported problems.

I then installed Ubuntu 19.04 on the laptop.  19.04 has the new Linux 5.0 kernel that has built in support for the NVME drive and for the Vega 8 AMD GPU.  The computer is running perfectly, without any problems.

HP Recommended

20 mins ago this MS has installed something hidden, and again BSOD.

After several restarts and restoring from the saved point - they opened the web-page something about "we removed some latest updates....".

Now works. How to ban Windows10 Update for sure ?

(edited)****

HP Recommended

Disable from service "Windows update" and you got peace of lifetime update troubles

HP Recommended

The latest news about this notebook model - i have localized that latest BSODs were due to audio Realtek driver of 2019 (do not remember the version exactly).

1) I booted into the Safe mode and disabled the Realtek audio in Device Manager

2) Booted OK normally without BSOD.
3) Now installed manually the driver v.6.0.1.8036 (of 2017) downloaded from Internet somewhere

4) Set up the registry to forbid WIndows to update the driver for this Realtek device, GUID {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

And now even no trouble  with "Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation" process that was loading the processor for 20% after voice messaging. And no BSOD yet, but WinUpdate is still postponed.

Next step soon will be again to enable the virtualization ...

HP Recommended

Today i have some courage to enable the Win Update again, after archiving the Win10 image.

It was updated OK, even some parts of Realtek audio were shown, but the driver version is old as i frozen it (described above), so were not changed.

No BSODs, all updated, including KB4501375 (where mentioned "issue with Hyper-V virtualization on a specific AMD CPU Stepping") and all other latest updates.

And next i have enabled the AMD virtualization in BIOS again. Results:

1) While "Windows hypervisor platform" (WHP) is off:
1.1) the Android emulator MEMU now is working fast, as should with the virtualization.
1.2) Native Android emulator from Google does not work with error that no active WHP: 

Error:
emulator: ERROR: Failed to create temp directory for crash service communication: 'C:\WINDOWS\\AndroidEmulator\169dad6d-9f10-11e9-bd0a-0c96e65ed316'
emulator: WARNING: Crash service did not start

emulator: ERROR: x86_64 emulation currently requires hardware acceleration!
Please ensure Windows Hypervisor Platform (WHPX) is properly installed and usable.
CPU acceleration status: Android Emulator requires an Intel processor with VT-x and NX support. Your CPU: 'AuthenticAMD'
More info on configuring VM acceleration on Windows:
https://developer.android.com/studio/run/emulator-acceleration#vm-windows
If you are using an Intel CPU: please check that virtualization is enabled in the BIOS and that HAXM is installed and usable.
Note: if Hyper-V or Credential Guard is enabled, the emulator will not work with HAXM.
See https://github.com/intel/haxm/issues/105#issuecomment-470927735 for info on how to disable Credential Guard.
If you are using an AMD CPU or need to run alongside Hyper-V-based apps such as Docker, we recommend using Windows Hypervisor Platform.General information on acceleration: https://developer.android.com/studio/run/emulator-acceleration.

-------------------------

But no BSODs.

2) When WHP was activated:
2.1) Native Android emulator from Google anyway does not work with error:

Error: qemu-system-x86_64.exe: WHPX: Failed to emulate MMIO access with EmulatorReturnStatus: 2 (InternalEmulationFailure )
qemu-system-x86_64.exe: whpx_vcpu { emulator=000000003671add0, window_registered=false, interruptable=true, tpr=0, apic_base=fee00900, interruption_pending=false }
qemu-system-x86_64.exe: WHV_MEMORY_ACCESS_CONTEXT { Instruction={ size=16, bytes='A1 F0 00 E0 FE 80 CC 01 A3 F0 00 E0 FE C7 05 50 ' }, AccessInfo={ AccessType=0, GpaUnmapped=1, GvaValid=0, AsUINT32=4 }, Gpa=fee000f0, Gva=0 }
qemu-system-x86_64.exe: WHPX: Failed to exec a virtual processor
Warning: QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread ((null):0, (null))

emulator: ERROR: Failed to create temp directory for crash service communication: 'C:\WINDOWS\\AndroidEmulator\71014237-9f0d-11e9-bd09-0c96e65ed316'
emulator: WARNING: Failed to open a temp file 'C:\WINDOWS\\AndroidEmulator\71014237-9f0d-11e9-bd09-0c96e65ed316\command-line-and-environment.txt' for writing
emulator: WARNING: Failed to open a temp file 'C:\WINDOWS\\AndroidEmulator\71014237-9f0d-11e9-bd09-0c96e65ed316\internal-error-msg.txt' for writing
emulator: WARNING: Failed to open a temp file 'C:\WINDOWS\\AndroidEmulator\71014237-9f0d-11e9-bd09-0c96e65ed316\internal-error-msg.txt' for writing
emulator: WARNING: Failed to open a temp file 'C:\WINDOWS\\AndroidEmulator\71014237-9f0d-11e9-bd09-0c96e65ed316\qemu-main-loop-args.txt' for writing
Windows Hypervisor Platform accelerator is operational
emulator: INFO: QtLogger.cpp:66: Warning: QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread ((null):0, (null))

TempDownload.png

2.2) But the Android emulator MEMU - throws Win to BSOD !

HP Recommended

Good news of this my ... sad challenge that the HP company looks like not related to these troubles 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.