Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-f222wm

I got this laptop for Christmas. Anytime it is shut down, the battery still drains. So it could have full battery when I shut it down, but a few days later I get on and it is over half gone. I have never had a laptop do this before.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thanks I changed it I hope it works now!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@notsoperfect142

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

That's most likely because you've never had a laptop that is running Win10 before.

With Win10, Microsoft enabled a new form of hibernation known as FastStartup (not to be confused with Fast Boot, which is a different UEFI booting option). This is ENABLED by default in Win10 and while this is supposed to speed up Restart, in some cases, it actually causes problems in hybrid sleep and hibernation -- problems that don't go away until you DISABLE it.

There are two ways to disable FastStartup in Win8/10; (1) through the Control Panel, and (2) through an elevated command prompt.

Control Panel - Open Control Panel --> Power Options.
Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
At the bottom of the Window, under Shutdown settings, uncheck the box regarding fast startup

Elevated command prompt - run the following command:
REG ADD "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" /V HiberbootEnabled /T REG_dWORD /D 0 /F

In both cases, reboot Windows.

NOW, FastStartup is disabled and when you shut down your laptop, it should not go into hibernation anymore.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
Thanks I changed it I hope it works now!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.