Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP notebook 11
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
My notebook was on the list of battery recalls however I've tried the suggestions online and downloaded the battery validation tool which does not detect my battery nor does the battery check on my hp assistant and I have tried to reboot the bios. My notebook only works with the charge plugged in, doesn't charge or power on without it. I have no idea what to do or how to go about replacing it seen as it was on the recall list I'm assuming I get a free battery replacement? If this is not the case how do I go about getting a new battery and replacing it?
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@tamsin92,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Please share the product number of your HP notebook to assist you better?

Have you tried to run a test on the battery from F2?

Have you tried charging your laptop using a different adapter or battery?

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the notebook

Before power resetting your computer, do the following:

1. Disconnect or remove all peripheral devices. Start up the laptop and test the computer by itself, and then reconnect one peripheral device at a time.

2. Turn over the computer and look for a battery compartment door.

I recommend to restore the BIOS defaults.You could restore the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. That way it will look at the Hardware installed on the Notebook.

Once done, restart the computer and check.

Next let's try re-installing the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery 

1) In the search box, type and open “Device Manager”. 
2) Expand “Batteries”. 
3) Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there. 
4) Click on “Uninstall”. 
5) At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver 
6) Shutdown the computer. 
7) Remove the battery for minute and then put it back in. 
8) When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver. 
9) Go to Device Manager. 
10) Expand Batteries. 
11) Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there. 
12) Click "Search automatically for updated driver software". Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller. 

Also, try updating the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

This document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging. 

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge 

If the issue persists, Let's Run a battery test using F2 (during restart), if the test failed: 

Check with an alternate battery. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

I have tried all the above and it doesn't work. Also my battery is not accessible. My product number is  

L2U07EA.  Thanks.
HP Recommended

@tamsin92,

In this scenario, I would suggest you run the test on the battery either from HP support Assistant or from System diagnostics F2.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.

4. Under Component test click on Battery and run the test.

Depending on the test results, If the test fails then this could be an issue with the battery. 

According to the product specifications it shows that your PC has been shipped with 3-cell, 37 Wh Li-ion polymer Battery.

In order to check the compatibility, I would recommend you go through the Maintenance and service guide of your notebook here you will have the list of parts which have been tested and are compatible on your PC. 

Chapter 1. Product Description - Page number 2

Chapter 3. Illustrated parts catalog - page number 15 for the spare part number. 

Chapter 5 Removal and replacement procedures - Page number for Removing the battery - 36

Please note the part number listed here are the ones which have been tested and are compatible. If you wish to try other parts you can try it at your own discretion, HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance. 

Alternatively, You could replace the part on your own, use the HP Partsurfer to identify the part: Click here & order it via the HP Parts store (Click here).

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.