Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TouchSmart 15-b160ea Sleekbook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Im trying to create a bios recovery usb drive for an HP Pavilion TouchSmart 15-b160ea - i have downloaded the bios from the support page as per the instructions on https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c02693833#recover however when i run the exe on another pc i just get a error?
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I'm not sure I understand the problem, but the BIOS recovery USB drive for an HP Pavilion TouchSmart 15-b160ea will only function on a HP Pavilion TouchSmart 15-b160ea system.  A BIOS update file is a file to update the basic input output system of a specific system and it is not a universal file that can be applied to multiple models of laptops or computers.  Each computer or laptop has its own BIOS that varies from other models.  So for each system you want to run the BIOS recovery on, you need a specific BIOS file for that system copied to the BIOS recovery drive.  

MBlakeS87
HP Recommended

Hi, sorry - im trying to create the recovery usb..  according to the support page you have to run the file on another laptop and select create recovery usb?

Step 2 on above link?

So can i just paste the bios exe onto a usb stick and it will pick it up?

HP Recommended

Basically you just put a blank USB drive into the working secondary computer and go to HP Software & Driver Downloads on the secondary computer with the flash drive inserted and enter the product number of the original computer and then proceed with the remaining steps to finish downloading the BIOS recovery tool and file to be used on the original computer that needs its BIOS recovered....the remaining steps are as follows.  

note:

If you upgraded the original computer to a new Windows version, in the Selected operating system pane, click Change, select the original operating system that came with your computer, and then click Change.
  1. Click BIOS, and then review the details of the latest available version or the specific version recommended for the recovery. Confirm it is the correct BIOS update before proceeding.
  2. Click Download, and then click Run.
  3. In the InstallShield Wizard window, click Next.
    InstallShield Wizard
  4. Select I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then click Next.
  5. Choose to remove or keep the files after the recovery, and then click Next to open the HP BIOS Update and Recovery window.
  6. Select Create Recovery USB flash drive, and then click Next.
    Create Recovery USB flash drive in HP System BIOS Update Utility
  7. Select your USB flash drive, and then click Next to copy the BIOS file to the drive.
  8. When 'The recovery flash drive was created successfully' displays, click Finish.
  9. Remove the flash drive from the computer.
MBlakeS87
HP Recommended

Hi, this is what i have tried to do however when i click next i just get an error message

1a.JPG2a.JPG

HP Recommended

I do not actually work for HP.  If your product is under warranty, I would contact their customer service line via phone or start a live chat with technical support for a better understanding of how to fix the problem and find a solution faster.   Their contact number is:  

1 (866) 724-8600

MBlakeS87
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, its not under warranty.. cannot seem to find the support chat on the website either?  Dont suppose you know where i can find it?

HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/

That's HP's contact information.  You can sign in and select your product type for available contact options.  

MBlakeS87
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.