Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 14-fq0xxx
Microsoft Windows 11

My new laptop came with Windows 11 in S Mode. I turned off S mode in order to run Chrome, Firefox and other software that is not available in the Microsoft Store but first I updated the bios from the HP site.

While I was initially able to take the laptop out of S Mode, after the bios update the laptop reverted to S Mode, and is now stays locked into S Mode. 

I tried a solution that was posted here a couple of years ago and must only deal with Windows 10 S Mode. The solution suggests resetting the Store, which does not work.  Am I stuck with S Mode now..which will mean I will return the laptop, or is there a solution to this OTHER THAN resetting the Store.?

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @Spartan75 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

The official documentation from Microsoft:

Switching out of S mode in Windows

Please report your results

Kind regards

HP Recommended

I tried this multiple times and it says "working on it" for hours.  

I have reset the store with the Store UI and the command line - neither corrected the problem.

It seems that the bios update causes S Mode to revert and be locked.  

HP Recommended

Hello @Spartan75 

(1) Test your hardware Using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)

--->>> Perform <all> tests

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2854458-2733239-16

See section <Running HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI tests when Windows doesn't start>

See how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14GKIpGPNRM

(2) Please report your results ( error messages, take pictures )

This video shows how to test your HP computer hardware using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI. If you suspect that your computer has hardware issues, follow the steps in this video to isolate and identify them using the HP PC Diagnostics UEFI. Chapters: 00:00 Introduction 00:18 Download and install
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, because the computer is LOCKED IN S MODE, I am not permitted to download and install the diagnostic tool

HP Recommended

Hello @Spartan75 

Just run the <HP Diagnostics UEFI> at boot time (it is operating system independent) and it is already installed.

Kind regards

HP Recommended

I ran both the fast and thorough system tests. Both report that everything is OK with the hardware.

The built in diagnostics report that there is a new version, however it is not possible to get it because the Store will not permit a download and I can’t turn off S Mode.

I considered trying to roll back the bios to the one that was on the laptop when I got it. It makes no sense to do that as a trial and error, though. Are we able to confirm an issue with the latest bios, or is the issue that any and every bios update breaks the S MODE as other posts suggest?

HP Recommended

Hello @Spartan75 

Repair Windows

(1) Open cmd.exe (right click) as administrator and execute:

sfc  /scannow

(2) Reboot 

(3) Open cmd.exe (right click) as administrator and execute:

msdt.exe /id WindowsUpdateDiagnostic

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

(4) Reboot 

(5) Please report your results

HP Recommended

When I attempt to run CMD, I receive the same message..

The blue box says what it always does when attempting to run anything that is not a store app…it tells me how, which is to open the store app and click Get. I have done this at least 5 times now, and the system just hangs on that screen showing “working on it”

HP Recommended

Ok..I was able to download Powershell from the store. I am permitted to run powershell from S Mode, so I’m doing the tests in powershell. FYI..this is. The only way I am able to get to a Command prompt as an Administrator if Window is locked in S Mode.

Results of test 1 was successful..” no integrity violations”. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.