Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Resolving the black screen issue caused by Windows 10 update

If you have previously disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Click Start and type Services
  3. Open desktop app Services and find App Readiness
  4. Open the service and set Startup type to Manual
  5. Click Apply and close the window
  6. Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  7. Reboot PC

If you have not disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Wait 15-20 minutes for the boot process to complete and desktop to load
  3. Once on desktop, Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  4. Reboot PC
I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

The above worked for me  - thanks.

Seems to take a litle longer to boot up, but not much and just glad I don't have to put it into hibernate anymore, this seems to drain the battery unecessarily. 

HP Recommended
Hi I have owned my current laptop a little over a year. No complaints up until 15 minutes ago. Right after I sent an email my screen was half snowy and half black. I waited a few seconds hoping it would clear. No luck. I tried a reset I saw that said turn off power button. Hold it for 30 seconds. Remove battery. Hold power 15 more seconds. Did this put the battery back in and now the screen is solid black with the cursor making the circle with the dots. I see some of you have had success in your devices. I can't get to my login screen. Just the black screen. I hope someone in here has another tip. I appreciate anything you might think of.
HP Recommended

I had the same problem after updating, and I tried just about everything that the forum said would take care of it but none worked.  I noticed that before signing in it showed that I was in airplane mode on the task bar. It would not allow me to get out it. I tried connecting through ethernet, directly to my modem but it did not help either. I gave up and bought another laptop but this time I went with Dell.  Too scared to try another HP and will not choose to update on the HP in my bedroom.

HP Recommended

I waited a half hour and the screen was still black.  I had to buy another laptop because of this problem but I got a Dell this time. I hope HP will notify people when they finally find a fix for the problem.  I also hope that they include step by step instructions for people like me who are not all that tech savvy.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.