Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360-13aeooo
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am running a beta version of Win 11 through their insider program. I decided it would be wise to save a system image since this OS may be problematic. The image was saved successfully to an external HD but, I am now greeted with a black screen that advises:  "Boot device not found. Please install an operating system on your hard drive. Hard disk - (3FO). F2 System Diagnostics."  If I press F2 I am taken to the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI screen. Version 1.21.0.0 - BIOS. Running memory and hard drive checks show no errors. If I insert a bootable USB with windows OS and go to BIOS settings I am unable to change the boot order to once again boot off the internal SSD. I don't believe that this condition is common after saving a system image using tools within Windows. Has anyone else encountered this?  Is there a way to boot off the SSD w/o a system reset

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Woodsaregood 

You should be able to go into the UEFI settings and choose the boot device.  I don't know why that is not the case for your model.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately when I look at UTFI boot options, the local HD is not listed. It is listed under Legacy boot so I enabled Legacy but when the system boots, it says the HD doesn't have an OS. Disabled Legacy as it was no help. I think that I'll end up having to rebuild the HD, hopefully the image I saved is a good one. 

HP Recommended

The Boot Device Not Found Error, or most commonly said Hard Disk 3F0 error is generally occurs when hard disk does not support the system boot process. It mainly happens due to incorrect boot sequence, damaged MBR or boot sector, hard drive connection issue, malware attack, corrupt drive partition or damaged hard drive. Further, to fix Boot Device Not Found error, you can try the below methods:

1. Perform Hard Reset
  2. Reset BIOS default settings
  3. Reset Hard Drive

Hope it helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.