Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-ch011nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a serious issue which causes my expensive laptop to be practically not useful when using Windows 10. Everything works fine when starting up and also while I use it. However if I do not use it for some minutes, meaning that I do not use keyboard or mouse, the screen will turn blue showing the screen of death with the message: STOP CODE WHEA UNCORRECTABLE error. 

As I mentioned while I operate the PC, this will never happen. However, if I don't do anything on it and just leave it powered on, Windows will turn into blue screen of death after some 5-10 minutes every time! This makes it impossible to use. 

I have run all the hardware tests and all pass. I hope you can fix this issue and let me know what I can do. I also do not believe it is a hardware issue. All windows and HP updates are also installed. I am very dissapointed and at least if you help, I will only be able to regain my trust in your products.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello!

Thank you for posting in HP Support Community.

Your problem is known as Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). BSOD is kind of Windows self-protection feature. If you received a blue screen error, or stop code, the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from data loss.

A hardware device, its driver, or related software might have caused this error.What you describe could happen because of incompatible with Windows driver (most often) or because of hardware issue (rarely).

Most likely your problem comes from the fact that Windows tries to go into Sleep mode or Hibernation mode, or it tries to sleep the hard disk drive. It fails to do it because some driver interferes.

• Disable automatic Sleep Mode
  • Disable automatic Hibernation Mode
  • Disable PC fast startup
  • Configure Windows to never turn the HDD off automatically

and this may probably fix the issue.

• How to article - instructions for configuring the automatic off model for the hard disk drive (HDD). Go to Control Panel -> Power Options -> Advanced power plan settings

Make sure you set both battery and Plugged in to ZERO (0) - this means NEVER or DISABLED

Some instructions with pictures >> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21454-turn-off-hard-disk-after-idle-windows-10-a.html

Save the changes by pressing OK

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hello again,

I did not reply and it has been several months. I am a Linux user mostly but now I have to start using Windows again. The problem I described, persists and the BOD appears again if the pc is left running without me doing something on it. I did the things you suggested even before you told me but again the issue is there. What is the course of actions I should take?

HP Recommended

Blue Screen of Death happens suddenly without any input from myself.

Seems to be related to atikmdag.sys 

The BOD Stop Code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

When restarting it mentions it had reverted to a display driver.

If I am able to take a picture next time, I will upload it for the restart message once back in windows, regarding the display driver.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.