Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

So they screen start up menu is not an option. i only have the screen that says Boot Device not found.... blah blah.

How do i get to a start up menu screen?

F11 does not work when it's being pressed

HP Recommended

@kailamerritt

The screen start up menu is the same one you used to perform the hardware tests. It can be accessed the following way:

- when HP computer is stopped, press the power on button to turn it on (if not stopped, please restart it and then turn it on).

- immediately keep hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) and the boot menu will appear. It will look similar to this one

- eventually, press F11 from the keyboard

# Can you confirm the hardware tests did pass fine with no errors ?

# Do you ever get to the HP Startup Menu after hitting the Esc button ?

# When you purchased your HP computer, did it come with Windows preinstalled (OEM Windows) ? You or your friend did not installed (reinstalled) Windows on your own after purchase, didn't you ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

so i finally got that start up screen but when i do F11 it goes back to the same screen saying

Boot device not found

please install an operating system on your hard disk

hard disk (3F0)

F2 system diagnostics

HP Recommended

@kailamerritt

I kindly ask you one more time to please answer the following two queries. Since you now get to the Startup menu:

# Can you confirm the F2 UEFI/BIOS  hardware tests did pass fine with no errors ?

# When you purchased your HP computer, did it come with Windows preinstalled (OEM Windows) ? You or your friend did not install (reinstall) Windows on your own after purchase, didn't you ?

If the suggested hardware test did pass fine and If your computer originally came with Windows preinstalled but if the F11 option does not work now, it could be the recovery partitions are corrupted or missing. Please, confirm.

Thank you very much for your cooperation! 🙂

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

# Can you confirm the F2 UEFI/BIOS  hardware tests did pass fine with no errors ? Yes i thought i already answered that, sorry.

# When you purchased your HP computer, did it come with Windows preinstalled (OEM Windows) ? You or your friend did not install (reinstall) Windows on your own after purchase, didn't you ? I did not install anything so i'm assuming it came with this?

HP Recommended

OK, thank you.

This error generally means hardware failure (HDD failure) and is less likely to be caused by other things but let's try to be on the safe side and ~100% sure.

1) Please, restart the computer and keep hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) to open the Start up menu

Choose the F2 option for diagnostics

Go to Components tests >> Hard drive >> choose to run Extensive test

Please, note that it will take long time to complete - e.g. more than an hour

Please, let me know the results from the Extensive test

If it fails, please do let me know.

2) Please,restart the computer and keep hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) to open the Start up menu

Press the F9 button for boot options

Can you please let me know what exactly you see as listed boot options ? Please, list them all

3) Please,restart the computer and keep hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) to open the Start up menu

Press the F10 option to enter the BIOS.

Please, manually search for the following option - depending on BIOS versions it may sould/look slightly different but general meaning is the same - Reset to default, Load default, Apply default and exit, etc.. the idea is to reset the BIOS settings to default settings, apply default settings, Exit BIOS and save the default settings. Restart. Does this make any difference ?

4)

3) Please,restart the computer and keep hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) to open the Start up menu

Press the F10 option to enter the BIOS.

Please, manually search for the following options : Try to configure BIOS/UEFI - boot options as

Secure boot enabled / Legacy mode disable

Save, restart and try if this makes a difference

If computer still cannot boot to Windows, please, re-enter BIOS

Try to configure BIOS/UEFI - boot options as

Secure boot disabled / Legacy mode enabled

Save, restart and try if this makes a difference.

Keep hitting F9 button to load boot options , choose Notebook HardDisk Drive, press ENTER and let me know if Windows starts.

Here is more info about these options >>

http://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c03653226

I know these are lots of options. But since the computer is not in front of me, it's a little but hardder remotely. Please, take your time and complete them when you have time. Please, provide back reply with your findings on all the tests/options.  Looking forward to hearing back from you !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.