Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

File: \EFI\Microft\Boot\BCD

Info:  The Boot configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

Have windows 10 installed unsure which version.  Found some info from 2016 with similar problem.  It said to hit ESC then F11 then Troubleshoot then Advanced Options then select Command Prompt.  It then lists commands to enter.  I hit ESC then F11 and am taken back to error screen.  How can I get to Command prompt??

Any suggestions welcome.  Please and thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@CKLee8 

I don't understand what is happening with your PC.

When you go through that sequence and select Advanced options, the PC is supposed to restart and then put up a Command Prompt screen listing local accounts, you select one and enter the password.

It does not list commands.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

WAWood,

Thanks for your response.  I'll try to be more clear.  I turn on my computer and hit ESC.  It brings up a

startup Menu

F1. System info

F2 System Diagnostics

F9. Boot Device Options

F10. BIOS Setup

F11. System Recovery

ENTER - Continue Startup

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/tech center/startup

When I hit F11, I am taken to the screen I referenced previously.

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem:

1.  Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.  (I don't have the disc)

2.  Choose language settings, and then click "next"

3.  Click "repair your computer."

If you do not have the disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File.     Status.    info.   I included this info in my original post.   Don't have disc.  Stuck between these two screens.  How can I get to a command prompt???

HP Recommended

@CKLee8 

The Command Prompt is no longer DOS as it was long ago, which preceded the Windows boot.  It is now part of Windows, and if that does not boot, you're not going to be able to get into the command prompt.

A way around the BCD problem is to follow the instructions below to create boot media from Macrium Reflect (MR) that can be used to rewrite/repair the boot media on your PC:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from this link on a working PC: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

That will create MR bootable media. Then, you can boot your PC into WinPE using that media.

Have patience, as that can take a while to start and bring up the screen.

Once the screen is there, select the option to Fix Windows boot problems. It will then search for the OSs installed and list them, Select the one you want to repair and click Next.

It will now do the repairs, listing the things it has done.

When finished, select the option to Restart the PC.

If this worked, the boot repair succeeded and you will have your PC back.

But if it did not, the Windows system files are most likely corrupted and you would have to reinstall Windows from scratch to fix that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Ok.  I downloaded it to USB stick.  I plugged it in and restarted my computer.  Still stuck between Windows Boot Manager screen and startup Menu.  How do I point it to USB drive to boot up?  F1 system info, F2 system Diagnostics, F9 boot device options F 10 BIOS Setup, F11 system Recovery takes me back to windows Boot Manager which tells me to insert wndows installation disc and restart computer.  How do I point to USB stick?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.