Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have not updated to Windows 10, version 20H2 yet.

Has any one experienced any issues after updating to Windows 10, version 20H2? 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @FrederickMD 

Personally, I have updated 2 test computers to 20H2 and did not encounter any issues besides the general thing that it was slow as hell (due to slow Microsoft servers or just a settings). The upgrade took me 2-3 hours to complete but it did complete successfully.

The fact I did not have any issues does not mean no people in the world will not have issues. Usually and most often these occur due to old or incompatible 3rd party software, old or incompatible drivers, old version of the BIOS or sometimes Microsoft/Windows issues on it.

Based on Microsoft information, most upgrades pass successfully.

With regards to your other question -> yes, you could skip updates depending on your Windows version.

• If you have Windows 10 Pro edition, it is very simple to skip feature upgrades (like 1909, 2004, 20H2, etc)
  • If you have Windows 10 (Windows 10 Home), it is a lot harder here. You may stop all updates for several months and get some of them later
  • Please, let me know which is your Windows edition and I can provide you with more concrete steps.
Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

At present, I have Windows 10 Home, version 2004. So, I will be updating from 2004 to 20H2.

On my laptop, under "Windows Update" section, I have the option "Download and install"  Windows 10, version 20H2. All I have to do is click "Download and install".

My questions are:

1. Is it safe to Download and Install Windows 10, version 20H2? Are there any issues with version 20H2?

2. Has anyone encountered any issues updating from Windows 10 version 2004 to version 20H2?

3. If I update to version 20H2, will this generate another BitLocker Recovery Key? I have had some challenges and worried about BitLocker.

I did some research online and it appears Microsoft just has some issues related to this version and they working to resolve them. 

HP Recommended

Created a dual boot with existing Win7hp and fresh install Win10 20H2 on Crucial 500GB ssd...went flawlessly, using it as default OS, and this on a vintage dv6 Pavilion  upgraded to 8GB RAM and very fast Intel Core 2 Duo T9800 CPU...couldn’t be more pleased, even though these “vintage” HP laptops said to have all sorts of driver issues when transitioning to Win10...just lucky, I guess!  Never wanted to do a traditional Win7 > Win10 upgrade, that’s when a boatload of problems possible.   Use third-party transfer software  such as EaseUS Todo PC Trans or the like to move files and folders over to new OS.

HP Recommended

@FrederickMD wrote:

My questions are:

1. Is it safe to Download and Install Windows 10, version 20H2? Are there any issues with version 20H2?

2. Has anyone encountered any issues updating from Windows 10 version 2004 to version 20H2?

3. If I update to version 20H2, will this generate another BitLocker Recovery Key? I have had some challenges and worried about BitLocker.

I did some research online and it appears Microsoft just has some issues related to this version and they working to resolve them. 

Answer 1) There are always questions. All operating systems are full of bugs, issues and are constant work in progress. Windows is now officially a service, not a final product. It depends on your needs of stability which version to run, how often to update, etc

Answer 2) I am sure we can find at least 1 person on the planet who has encountered issues 🙂

Answer 3) No. Bitlocker key is generated only when your drive is being encrypted. Therefore, if you encrypted, then decrypt and finally re-encrypt a drive, a new key will eventually be generated.

However, during a Windows 10 upgrade process, the installer does not decrypt your drive. Actually, because the upgrade to a newer version does not decrypt, it only suspects temporary the protection while the process is active. Protection is re-activated once upgrade completes

>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/bitlocker/bitlocker-upgradi...

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.