Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion dv6 7000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So me and my friend found our old laptop and we wanted to reset it. Delete everything that was on it and start fresh. While it was resetting the power cut off. We tried to turn the laptop back on and it was giving the error of  "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error" and we kept pressing ok to restart the "install" but we kept getting a loop. So we watched a couple of videos on YouTube to figure it out and it told us to go to command prompt and rewrite some stuff. We did that but now I am getting a loop of it downloading at 64%. The laptop keeps restarting over and over again. All of the YouTube videos that I watched told me to access System Recovery which means I have to press F11 to get into the system recovery. When I press F11 nothing shows up on the screen and even if you let it sit there for 10 minutes nothing will happen. The only way I can get out of that screen is by shutting the computer off and turning it back on. I have also tried downloading Windows 10 onto a USB and trying to boot into Windows from the USB but the same thing happens. It goes into a black screen but now it'll switch to a full blue screen and to get out of it I have to shut the laptop off. I have also tried hard resetting by turning the laptop off and on about 5 times and I have also tried removing the battery but nothing changes. The laptop is not broken because we got into Windows 10 before resetting it completely. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP I HAVE BEEN TRYING THIS FOR 3 DAYS NOW!!!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@dneves123 

The DV6 models, from what I recall, did not come with Win10 preloaded but instead, came with win7.  That means they were Upgraded to Win10 along the way and that upgrade is known to corrupt the recovery information.  And after that happens, F11 will not work anymore.

Ordinarily a fresh install from Win10 media SHOULD work, but if it is failing along the way, with a PC this old, I would suspect the hard drive.

To check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.