Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-R204NE Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm having the following problem when I try to open Device Manager:

Capture.PNG

It asks for permission of the Microsoft Management Console before giving me this message.

This has started to happen after I've installed and uninstalled many copies of Visual Studio and MS Office because I was having problems. My Notebook went onto checking Drive C before start up to check for errors and repair them.

Can anyone provide a fix for this problem please?

I highly appreciate the help.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The extent of your system file corruption could  be beyond any simple diagnosis and repair.

I think your only option now is system restore, repair, or re-install. System restore from an earlier date is the easiest although you did state you did not want to do that. If you do not have the HP recovery media then your Windows recovery options are explained here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Welcome @Zarakkhan

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great site to get answers and ask questions. I understand that you are having an issue with MMC blocking you from going into the Device Manager. 

Although this is a little out of my expertise, here are a couple of things that you could try that may help you resolve the issue. 

Have you tried going into Safe Mode to see if the problems persist in there?

Have you tired to perform a Clean Boot?

Are you trying to open the Device Manager as an administrator?

Please use the System Restore feature and pick a date that was before the issues started. 

To use System Restore in Windows 10:

• Go to the Search
  • Type Control Panel
  • Click Control Panel
  • Click System
  • Click System Protection
  • Click System Protection Tab
  • Click System Restore
  • Click Next
  • Choose "Choose a different Restore point"
  • Click Next
  • A box that says "Restore your computer to the state it was in before the selected event" will pop up
  • Choose the event
  • Click Next
  • Click Finish
  • Click Yes to Confirm

When the System Restore is finished, you will get a pop up that says it has been completed. 

If none of that worked, the Microsoft Management Console is a Microsoft program. I would suggest contacting Microsoft for issues with Microsoft Management Console error messages. You can also reach out to them using their Microsoft Community Forums as well.

Hope that helps! 

If you feel this post has helped you, could help others joining in and looking for a solution or you just want to say cheers, please click the Accept as Solution button and/or the Thumbs Up

If you require further assistance, please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting and I would be more than happy to do my best to provide another solution. 

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Hello, thank you for the reply.

I'm sorry but I've had a bad experience with System Restore in the past, I've used that to solve issues before but then other things get affected as well.
So I was hoping if you would provide me any alternative solution.

And I can't seem to figure out the Windows Forums because they're a bit confusing to me.

Although I'll try to check in Safe Mode and perform a Clean Boot.

Thanks again.
Regards.
HP Recommended

You need to check if  'Windows > system32 > devmgmt'  exists ( in case it has somehow been deleted)  and then check its security permissions. Right click 'Properties' then 'security' tab.  All users should at least have 'Read' and 'Read and execute' allowed. Only 'TrustedInstaller' will have a lot more.

HP Recommended

@KarenUK wrote:

You need to check if  'Windows > system32 > devmgmt'  exists ( in case it has somehow been deleted)  and then check its security permissions. Right click 'Properties' then 'security' tab.  All users should at least have 'Read' and 'Read and execute' allowed. Only 'TrustedInstaller' will have a lot more.

@thank you for your reply, @KarenUK

The file 'devmgmt.msc' exists, but the Security tab is not showing anything in the Properties, except the following message:

Capture2.PNG

HP Recommended

Sorry but the image you uploaded is just showing as a blank triangle in my browser!

HP Recommended

KarenUK wrote:

Sorry but the image you uploaded is just showing as a blank triangle in my browser!

Here's something very odd, when I try to click the second devmgmt file it asks for MSC permission and returns me the error that I've mentioned in the first post. Here's the image for the Security tab you asked.

Prtscr2.jpg

But now there are 2 devmgmt files, and the first one with the grey icon is opening Device Manager without any sort of problem. Here's the image:

Prtscr.jpg

What could be the problem and what should I do? Should I delete the second one with the red toolbox icon?

HP Recommended

Sorry I still cannot see your image attachments. Although they are recognised as jpg they will not  change into pictures. I think this is a fault with HP. This is what I am getting.

HPJ.jpg

HP Recommended

@KarenUK wrote:

Sorry I still cannot see your image attachments. Although they are recognised as jpg they will not  change into pictures. I think this is a fault with HP. This is what I am getting.

HPJ.jpg

How about now?

HP Recommended

Ok. I can see your images now! 

Here is a system32 snapshot from my own machine which shows the grey devmgmt icon. There is only one. 

You could delete the other red toolbox devmgmt. it will send it to the recycle bin and can be returned if need be. Then see if device manager works. Then I suggest  running system file checker, 'sfc /scannow'  in a command prompt ( admin ) to clear up any other file corruption. 

devm.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.