Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Specter x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

Not sure if this is the best place to post. If not, please feel free to move it.

I was having a problem with my space bar and the suggestion was made in another thread that I boot into safe mode. I did so, but now I can't get out. Here's what's happening:

When I try to log in, the webcam isn't available so it can't use facial recognition.  It tries to prompt me for my PIN, then says:

"Something happened and your PIN isn't available. Click to set up your PIN again. Set up my PIN."

When I click on "Set up my PIN," nothing happens. The screen refreshes and displays the same message again.

I restarted and tried to get to a helpful menu using F8 as suggested in HP's Safe Mode instructions, but F8 didn't do anything. The Esc key, however, took me to a Startup Menu. The only option that looked like it might be helpful was System Recovery, which took me to System Restore, where I was prompted for my Microsoft password, but it refused to accept it! So System Restore wasn't an option.

I restarted again and went to the login screen, where things became really strange.  I am the only user on the laptop and I'm an administrator. (I know I'm supposed to work as a Standard user, but....) I noticed that there are two users displayed on the login screen: one with my name and one called HP. Interestingly, HP has my picture and Warren's has no picture! I couldn't log in as Warren because of the PIN problem, so I tried HP and it logged me right in! I was shocked to see that I  have an HP account which supposedly has no password. This could have been good, though, if it could get me out of Safe Mode.

However, I was unable to type in the search box so that I could run msconfig. No matter what I typed, no text appeared in the box. I thought that maybe now my entire keyboard had died, but when I restarted to the System Menu and ran keyboard diagnostics, everything was fine.

I do have HP Recovery Media that I created when I received my laptop in March of 2020. I also have Windows 10 Installation Media that I created on 8-20-20. I have a backup from a couple of weeks ago. 

What's the best way for me to get logged in again? Preferably, I'd like to get out of safe mode and back to normal. If I can't do that, though, I guess I would have to reinstall Windows and restore from backup.

THANKS!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

One more question:

I ran diagnostics on my fan and it gave a result of 1%, with the explanation that "The Status shows the current percentage at which the fan is operating out of a maximum of 100 percent."  Does this mean that the fan is not under load and only needing to run at 1% (which would be good) or that it's only able to run at 1% efficiency (which would be very bad!)?

One option that I didn't mention above is to take the laptop in to Geek Squad and have them get Windows working again. If my fan needs replacing I'd have to take it in anyway, and I could have them repair my space bar at the same time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.