Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 13 d001ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Problem summary:

The laptop SSD has a GPT format. I'm trying to insall a Windows 10 ISO I have on it from a flash drive. Formatting a boot usb drive as GPT manually or using Rufus will not make the device visible in non-legacy mode. Formatting the drive as MBR on the other hand will not allow me to install on a GPT drive.

I tried everything. I disabled and enabled secure boot. I updated the BIOS to latest F.35 revision.

What's wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The ISO image had issues with it. I used another and then I could install Windows and Linux Mint with no problems.

I resolved my issue here.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

The ISO image had issues with it. I used another and then I could install Windows and Linux Mint with no problems.

I resolved my issue here.

HP Recommended

same problem currently here!

maybe anyone can help out .. and please dont blame me for "not using" the search bar etc.,

i did for days, but still no result ..

what i did:

- buildt in a new 512 gb ssd

- cleaned and formatted GPT with disk part

- downloaded win 10 iso, created bootable usb stick (8gb) in GPT format with rufus ..

- installed windows 10 from that stick.

i was forced to enable legacy mode in bios (HP Z620 is the model i have),

otherwise no chance to recognize the stick or anything else ..

- installed updates, checked in windows .. again the MBR format ..

is there any solution the get this f*cking windows on a GPT format on GPT disc with UEFI running?

and how can i active "EFI" or "UEFI", where and how..

totally going nuts here, absolutely don't find a solution for that,

all i see is the same **bleep**ty bios with its pretty useless settings that force me to the MBR mode ..

many thanks for any help, in desperate need 🙂

HP Recommended

repeated above.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure but if your usb drive was really formatted in GPT you shouldn't be able to boot it in MBR mode, so much for installing anything from it on a GPT drive.

Your machine being manufactured in 2012 then a BIOS update can help. So be sure UEFI is supported in your case or stick to MBR otherwise.

HP Recommended

thank you so far.

just purchased the machine, as bios is from end 2015, i know it supports UEFI..

but as i am not an it expert or nerd enough, i don't even know how to set the system to that UEFI,

or if i have to install a kind of "uefi bios" separately.. much too much for me, i'm out, will stick to MBR,

just need to know if MBR is able to read more than 2 Terabyte (not boot HDD, but when connected external via USB,

means, can the MBR formatted system read GPT HDDs???)

otherwise, i wouldn't even be able to connect any HHD >2 TB...

thanks

Chris

HP Recommended

You can enable/disable UEFI on your motherboard in BIOS using a setting called legacy mode  or something like that.

You should be able to connect you 2 TB drive with no problems regardless of mode.

HP Recommended

legacy mode didn't help for me, as i was forced to activate (otherwise the boot stick didn't work, although gpt),

and this also does not bring me any uefi bios or changes anything unfortunately.

as mbr only can handle up to 2 tb hdds, i'd need to know if, for example 8 terabyte hdds can fully be used (i assume they must be formatted in gpt then, but are they usable from the mbr system then??)

HP Recommended

I didn't make it clear last time. But the mbr/uefi devide is immaterial to connecting a drive to a live OS like windows or others because it'll be handled by the os not be BIOS.

HP Recommended

sounds cool, so no matter if mbr system ssd, 8 tb external drives can be fully used when they are in gpt format

(as the on mbr installed system reads that also, right)?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.