Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Windows pushed an update the end of July that crashed my operating system.  I used the file backup utility in the recovery program to backup all my files, then did a facotry reset.  Windows still wouldn't come back up so I took the laptop into the Geek Squad and they reinstalled the operating system and restored my files.  Most of my files are created with Word Perfect, Page Maker or Quicken. None of them came back with the restore. Since I do most of my work in those programs and know that 32G of files were copied at the backup, I'd really like to get them back.  Any suggestions on how to convince the restore program to recognize my missing files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Blairdogs,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I would like to inform you that the recovery manager can backup only certain files formats. The formats you have mentioned in the post are not supported on the recovery manager backup program.

Please refer to the below article for more information.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04683485

NOTE: Refer to the section Auto selection and user selection.

Hope that answers your question.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Blairdogs,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps to restore the backup files created during the recovery.

Pressing f11 starts either HP Recovery Manager or HP Backup and Recovery Manager, depending on which software is installed on your computer. If you used either of these programs to back up your files, you can easily restore them using the same program. Please note that the restore process can take between 20 and 40 minutes to start. Please do not close the Recovery Manager File Restore Program after starting the restore process.

During the HP Recovery Manager backup operation, a folder named MINWINPC was created on the USB storage device. Inside this folder is a executable file named backup.exe. If you backed up a large number of files, there may also be one or more additional backup files with a .fbw extension.

If you used the Microsoft Backup and Restore Center program to back up your files, you must use the Microsoft Backup and Restore Center to restore your files. You cannot use HP Recovery Manager or HP Backup and Recovery Manager to restore files created with the Microsoft Backup and Restore Center. Please see the Restoring files section of HP Notebook PCs - Use Windows Basic Backup and Restore Center to Back Up Files in Vista for information about how to restore your files with the Windows Backup and Restore Center.

Restoring backup files using HP Recovery Manager

To restore backup files that you created using HP Recovery Manager, follow the steps below.

1. Open the USB device to which you wrote your backup file, such as your USB flash drive, and then copy the MINWINPC folder to a convenient location on your computer, such as your desktop.

2. Locate and open the MINWINPC folder on your computer, and then double-click the executable file (.exe) that was created during the backup process.

NOTE:

There may be more than one file, but only one will be an application (.exe) file. Other backup files created with HP Recovery Manager will have an .fbw extension.

3. When the Recovery Manager File Restore Program opens, click Next.

4. Select the types of files that you want to restore and then click Next.

5. A message displays showing the location to which the files be restored: C:\System Recovery Files. A shortcut to this file location is also created on your desktop.

6. Allow the program to restore the backed up files.

NOTE:

The progress bar may stay on “0% complete” for 10-30 minutes, and the entire restore process can take several hours.

7. After the HP Recovery Manager restores the files, you can double-click the Shortcut to System Recovery files on your desktop to view the restored files.

You can now decide which files go with your applications (such as .jpg files that belong to a certain application on your computer) and which files are personal files, and choose the location(s) in which you want to store these file(s).

Restoring backup files using HP Backup and Recovery Manager

To restore your files using HP Backup and Recovery Manager, follow the steps below.

1. Click Start, type recovery into the search field, and then select HP Backup & Recovery Manager from the list to open HP Backup and Recovery Manager.

2. Click Expert Mode, select the Recover user created files and folders option, and then click Next to open the File Recovery Wizard within HP Backup and Recovery Manager.

3. Click Next, select the Recover files of most common locations and types (Recommended) option, click Next, and then click Browse and navigate to the location in which you saved your initial backup file, select the Backup.exe file, click Open, Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions.

Your files are returned to their original file locations.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

What you suggested is what I have done. The restore option is restoring anything ending wiht .pdf, .doc*, xls, .jpg, etc., It is not restoring my Word Perfect files which end in .wpd, qpw or my Page Maker files which end in .pps.  There is a text file of "common extensions included in the main backup folder that has a listing of the files that the restore program apparently uses to select what files to restore.  None of my Corel files, Quicken files, or Page Maker files restore, nor are thier extensions included on this list.

I have tried adding my extensions to the text file, but that did not help.  I fail to see why I watched the files get copied during the recovery back up, but that they won't restore now.  Needless to say, I'm finding it very frustrating.

HP Recommended

@Blairdogs,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I would like to inform you that the recovery manager can backup only certain files formats. The formats you have mentioned in the post are not supported on the recovery manager backup program.

Please refer to the below article for more information.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04683485

NOTE: Refer to the section Auto selection and user selection.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Rats!   I wish I had known that only certain files types were backed up, but thought the auto selcetion would cover all my personal files.  Guess I have to dig out the older backups and rebuild from there.  Thanks so much for your help.

HP Recommended

@Blairdogs,

You're welcome!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.