Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy x360 Convertible 15m-bq1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop crashed during an update, when I try to reboot I keep getting these errors.

Stop code: DRIVER_PNP_WATCHDOG

Stop code: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

Stop code: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Therefore I tried to reinstall windows 10 with a  USB and it installs VERY VERY VERY slow until it errors out. 

Is there a different way to install windows to an SSD drive?  

How do I install a new os

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@dillon242 

Even the most basic SSD is much faster than any hard drive -- so you should not be seeing very slow response when installing to an SSD.

Folks think SSDs, because they have no moving parts, can not fail -- but I've had several fail over the past several years.

You can try running the HP diagnostics but they generally don't do well when checking SSDs because they are designed for hard drives.  You can do that by pressing the Esc key repeatedly while rebooting and when the HP Startup Menu appears, select the option to run diagnostics -- usually F2.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

The system is now crashed and I cant get it to load windows again. The system has a regular ide 1tb hard drive. Every install fails including when I download iso from windows site. I'm trying to get a recovery for my system. 😞

HP Recommended

@dillon242 

Not to be overly technical, but I am sure your laptop does not have an "IDE" drive -- as that is a really old technology that died out years ago.  Plus, there are no IDE SSDs; they are all either SATA, or in the case of the newest ones, NVMe.

You asked specifically about installing to an SSD -- was that to replace the 1TB HDD?  And, as I said, if you had an SSD connected for the install, it should have been very fast, not creeping along -- which implies that it was actually trying to install to a failing HDD.

Did you try running the HP diagnostics to check out the HDD?

HP Recommended

I also tried differentWhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 10.55.04 AM.jpeg hard drives and got the same error.  My bad calling it an IDE

HP Recommended

@dillon242 

At present, the image you attached is not displaying -- so what additional information were you trying to provide?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.