Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Spectre x360 laptop was new in April this year. A few weeks ago I found that Caps Lock is now permanently on. Whenever the laptop is powered ON, the Caps Lock light is initially off. Then when I log in, when I enter my PIN, the first character of the PIN causes the Caps Lock to light up. And then when I press the Caps Lock key, nothing changes, it’s stuck in Caps Lock mode.

Based on information I discovered on the internet I am able to change the Advanced Keyboard Settings so that the SHIFT key turns off the Caps Lock. That certainly does the job, but I then need to press the SHIFT key every time I log in (to turn off Caps Lock), but after doing so, the Caps Lock key is then in a permanently OFF state, i.e. the Caps Lock key continues to be non-functional.

The Windows 10 operating system has all the latest updates installed (Version 1903, build 18362.267).

I would appreciate advice on how to restore the Caps Lock key to its normal functionality.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@GrahamWB

Welcome to HP support  community.

I recommend you to use the on-screen keyboard and turn off the caps lock and check. To make sure whether it is hardware or a software issue please run a test on the keyboard.

Follow the steps in the below article to run the test on the keyboard:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry to take so long in replying to your suggestion. I put the laptop (HP Spectre x360) into tablet mode so I could test the soft keyboard. I've tested it several times, and the soft keyboard is working perfectly.

Meanwhile the behavior of the laptop's main keyboard (the hardware keyboard) is still a problem. However, the behavior varies. In my original posting, I indicated that the Caps Lock was permanently ON, which it was (with light illuminated). But when I turned the computer on several days later, the Caps Lock proceeded to switch itself off and on at multiple-second intervals, somewhat at random. Today (right now) when I went to type this message, the Caps Lock initially came up in the fixed ON state, but then began going back and forth, off and on. For example, i had the idea of creating a WordPerfect document that illustrates the randomness, and when I typed in the document file name, it was like this: KEYBoard-anOMALY-DEMONStration.wpd, which is a great example of how Caps Lock is turning itself on and off at random,. while I was typing. Most of the time while typing this message, Caps Lock has been OFF except for a few brief periods (which you don't see in this message). At this instant, while Caps Lock is OFF, I plugged in an external USB keyboard, and the Caps Lock key on that keyboard is working correctly!

This appears to indicate that the Caps Lock key on the laptop has a problem. So it's time to have it fixed, which hopefully can be done under the laptop's warranty.

HP Recommended

@GrahamWB

Thank you for posting back. 

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, let's run Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8.

BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Next, uninstall Keyboard device from device manager.

1. Use shortcut keys Win + X on Windows 10.
  2. Select Device Manager.
  3. Expand the entry. Right-click the Keyboard device and select Uninstall device.
  4. You may need to check the option Delete the driver software for this device, and then click the Uninstall button.
  5. Reboot the computer. If the issue persists continue the next step,

Use HP PC Hardware Diagnostics to complete functional test of the keyboard and identify any problems with the hardware. (disconnect the external keyboard)

1. Download the latest version of HP PC Hardware Diagnostics.

2. In Windows, search for and right-click HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, and then select Run as administrator.

Run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows as an administrator

3. Click Component Tests, click Input Devices, and then select the Keyboard Test.

Running the Keyboard Test

4. Click Run once to begin the test.

The test ends when you complete the tasks or after 3 minutes.

For more information about using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, go to HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Echo_Lake for your comprehensive and thoughtful reply. It turned out that because I had concluded the problem was a faulty keyboard, I had (not many hours earlier) contacted HP Support by way of a chat session (which lasted over an hour). It covered a sequence of troubleshooting steps similar to those you describe. For example, it included updating the BIOS, removing and reinstalling the keyboard-related drivers, and a form of Reset where I simultaneously held the Power button and the Mute (F6) for 15 seconds. None of this resolved the issue (the Caps Lock was still ON, or was jumping back and forth between ON and OFF). And thus I was authorized to send the laptop to HP for repair under the warranty. They still have it, and have indicated a slight delay while they wait for the replacement part (it appears to be a new keyboard), with the laptop scheduled for return to me by this coming Friday. Sure will be nice to have it fixed as the problem renders the machine of little use for my applications.

Thanks again for your excellent reply.

HP Recommended

@GrahamWB

Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to ship the unit in for repair and do not worry HP repair center will diagnose your computer completely.

Please reach out again for any further assistance after your receive computer from HP.

Have a nice day ahead.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.