Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ60
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, 

This is now an old laptop, maybe 7 years old, but hardly used and perfectly functioning on Windows 7.

However, I want to update it to Windows 10.   I believe it is no longer free, but will cost me about £100.

My question is - is my laptop compatible with Windows 10.  I don't want to buy it over the internet and its not compatible.

Many thanks.

Mary Ann

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sure you can download from Vista. From the link I gave you in last reply download the media creation tool and run as administrator. Follow the application and checkmark to install on another computer. You can either create a bootable pendrive with win 10 or download the iso to create a DVD.

Use a partition tool to create a small partition on your harddrive and install windows 10 in that partition if you want to try it out first. While installing click on "do not have product key". During installation if windows 10 is truely incompatible it will notify you.

Let me now if you need any help,

David

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Officially I do not think Hp releases any windows 10 drivers. However I have installed win 10 on systems much older than yours and usually it is sufficient to let Microsoft install the drivers for all the devices automatically. Sometimes (rarely) it can be necessary to install drivers from other sources such as the manufacturer of the various devices or drivers released for different computers which have the same device.

Anyway you can try to install windows 10 for free initially by downloading it from Microsoft. Create a small partition on your harddrive of about 20 gb and install win 10 in dualboot and see if everything works correctly and then subsequently you can choose to wipe the drive and reinstall Win 10 or delete the win 10 installation and continue with 7.

In my opinion win10 will work fine.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Let me know if you need any further help,

David

HP Recommended

Thank you for that.  Could I download Windows 10 if my laptop is Vista?  (I forgot, its not Windows 7, only Vista on my Compaq CQ60!).

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sure you can download from Vista. From the link I gave you in last reply download the media creation tool and run as administrator. Follow the application and checkmark to install on another computer. You can either create a bootable pendrive with win 10 or download the iso to create a DVD.

Use a partition tool to create a small partition on your harddrive and install windows 10 in that partition if you want to try it out first. While installing click on "do not have product key". During installation if windows 10 is truely incompatible it will notify you.

Let me now if you need any help,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.